Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Amberjack - Suggestions

Options
Conundrum
Conundrum Posts: 65
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got some fresh AJ a friend of mine caught this past weekend. I'm looking for suggestions on what to do with it. I was thinking about cooking it on alder planks.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reed

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    We caught some of those in the gulfstream off the NC coas,t and the boat captain said they don't eat them because they are full of parasites. Maybe that was just fish in that area. -RP
  • Conundrum
    Options
    Must be a local thing - we catch em and eat em all the time here in the Gulf of Mexico. If they didn't go back overboard the crew could have been trying to keep them for themselves - it happens on occasion.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    They gaffed them and threw them back, maybe they didn't feel like cleaning them. -RP
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Some of the best fish I ever ate was on a Gulf Coast dive trip where the instructors caught some amberjack, marinated them in Italian dressing for a few hours and cooked them directly on a grill. Couldn't tell you what temperature or how long, though.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Hey yo Reed!
    I am a big fan of cooking fish direct over the coals. For my taste buds, there is nothing like the flavor of browning and caramelization on the surface of a succulent piece of fish flesh. The plank seems like a catchy little thing, and I guess it does impart an interesting flavor.....but the fish ends up pale and lacking of zing.

You have some nice hunks to work with?? I'd cut them into manageable pieces...no more than 4 inches wide, and hopefully at least an inch thick. Oil 'em up and throw some rub on there. Let it sit until the rub is a paste, then throw them on at 500 or better...right over the fire. When they release themselves from sticking, and the bottom is browned, flip em, and cook to no more than 120 internal. They'll come up over 130 during the rest since you are cookin so hot. That's how I'd do 'em anyways.

Have fun man!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    All large salt water fish which are bottom feeders (Gouper, Amberjack, etc) have parasites.
    If the fish are under 15 lbs the parasites are very small and would get cooked out. The larger fish do have the parasites and they too get cooked out. However if you are cleaning large bottom feeders try to look for a palish white wormy looking thing and pull it out.

A captain buddy of mine in Miami took me Amberjack fishing once. I landed a 50+ pounder off of a wreck. When he cleaned it he pulled several worms out 4-5 inches long. He still eats them all the time and my wife ate the amberjack. It was delicious. I just fish, I don't eat them....

Just don't eat it raw...cook it and you will be ok.... :)

Kim Youngblood
    (aka vidalia1)
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Hey Kim
    I hear the 4-5 inch worms actually have a nice earthy flavor that is the perfect complement to the flavor of the fish ;-)

Yowza.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Take the worms, butterfly and devain then cook like shrimp :sick: . Which rub should you use :blink:
  • Katodude00
    Options
    We have some King Mackerel and grouper that was caught yesterday that we should be trying out tonight. I will try to take pictures. The mackerel we will do with italian dressing, but grouper just with some EVOO and and rub.
  • Conundrum
    Options
    Hey Chris,
    That was my basic plan, I was just curious if someone out there had something interesting to try. If I had a cast iron skillet I'd blacken it, but I don't; but I do now have an excuse to buy one as I've got alot of fish. Any recommendations on which Dizzy rub to use?

Reed
  • PapaDoug
    Options
    About how long/ side should it take?
  • I would focus on eating the worms - better taste!!!
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    I been wanting to play with blackening. But browning is a nice step in between planking and blackening!

My rub suggestions would be Shakin the Tree or Raging River. Salt and pepper is magical as well.

Beers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Howdy Doug
    The timing will probably be different every time you cook. As a general guideline, if it's more that 5 or 6 minutes a side it's probably too low of a fire. If you have a real thick piece it could take longer (and you want your fire a bit lower), but generally it all happens pretty quick. Just keep a close eye on the color of the surface and don't keep it on too long!

All kinds of possibilities for sauces to make as well. Nothing like a drizzle of sauce over a sizzling browned piece o' feesh!

Cheers mang
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Conundrum
    Options
    Shaking the tree it was - and it was might fine. The wife wanted me to drown it some mango something or other sauce and was dissappointed when I said EVOO and DP, but once she tasted it she loved it.
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    Nancy Birchett on the Sea Cobra out of Destin used to grill AJ on the boat for the surface interval-good times!
  • Where was the AJ caught?

Parasites have always been a problem with AJ, but if you don't mind eating the small worms, it was of little concern.

Recently though there have been cases of Ciguatera (commonly known as fish poisoning) from some fish caught in the Northern Gulf, specifically around the Florida Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary (roughly on the Louisianna/Texas border). There have been numerous cases around the country from fish harvested in this area. While the risk is probably minimal, it is a serious condition if you get it.

Here is a link to an FDA advisory. I'm not sure if I can post it, but if it doesn't come through, just Google "Ciguatera Gulf of Mexico" or something like that and you'll get some information.

Link: FDA Link

This is unusual for ciguatera to be found in the cooler Northern Gulf waters. It is fairly common in the islands where the water is warmer.
  • This link should work.

Link: FDA Link