Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about "Turbo Butt"

Options
Walter
Walter Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well... just put a 9 lb. pork shoulder (couldn't find a Boston Butt) on the EGG for a Pulled Pork dinner tomorrow. My son's girlfriend decided to skip her junior prom tomorrow so after his hockey game they're coming home to a catered dinner from mom & dad. The choice was Philly Cheesesteaks or Pulled Pork. I was more than happy to fire up EGGy to cook our favorite low-n-slow treat![p]I remember seeing some posts a few months back about "Turbo Butt." I know there were some comments about how to cook the Butt quicker than the "normal" 20 - 24 hours. If I start hitting time pressures tomorrow (piggy needs to come off the EGG by 3:00 PM) - what could I do to get it finished on time?[p]Thanks,
Walter

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Walter, you can push the temp up towards 300 and finish it faster. Might not be quite the same but I bet it would still be good. Reading to night that it would cut the time to about an hour per pound. That should get it done fast enough.

• Buckeye Bill
    Options
    Walter,[p]I have found this a real lifesaver! When time runs out, actually a couple hours before, remove butt and wrap in foil then put in oven at about 350. I add about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of apple cider before sealing the foil. I then heat until the internal temp is 210 or so.[p]This technique works regardless of the time on grill. If I have 10 hours, I smoke for about 7 and then put in oven till done and then eat. I have done as short as 5 hours on BGE and found results still very good.[p]The foil keeps the meat from drying out and I think the cider helps to "wash" the fat from the pork.[p]Buckeye Bill
  • davidm
    davidm Posts: 64
    Options
    Walter,[p]Last weekend I did a nine-pound butt that had been boned. Laying it flat, slathered with JJ's rub and mustard, it was done, cooked indirect, in 12 hours, with the dome temp never getting about 260.[p]David
  • Walter
    Options
    Buckeye Bill,[p]Thanks. Could I wrap in foil and put it back in the EGG at 350* as well? Wife is using the oven for cheesecake, etc.[p]Walter
  • Walter
    Options
    davidm,[p]Wow! I've never been able to finish in less than 20 hours. Anything from 5.5 lbs up to almost 13. Always has taken me 20 - 26 hours. I've got a bone-in 9 lb Pork Shoulder. Kept it solid at 235* from 4 PM to midnight. Checked it this morning at 8 AM and the dome had dropped to 180. Kicked it up to 300 (waited too long to check) and now have it settled back down at 260 - 275. 18 into the cook and the meat is at 185*. Still have a few hours before it needs to be served so I should be OK... but if it gets too close I'll try to get the dome up to 275 - 300*. Hopefully that will push it across the finish line.[p]Time to make some sauces :)[p]Walter