Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long will it last?

Options
Firetruck
Firetruck Posts: 2,679
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to smoke a butt this tuesday. I have a LBGE. I was wondering how much lump to load in and how long can I expect it to last? Will I be able to set the temp. and just leave it alone, or will I have to reload? Also any advise on how long a butt takes to cook would be welcome too.

Thanks JoJo

P.S. I'm at work so I will be checking in periodically.

Thanks again

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Options
    Load it about 1/2 way up your fire ring & it should go 20 hours @ 250. You should not need that much time. I had almost enough to fill a 2 gallon bucket left after a similar cook last week. It went 16 hours. Hope that helps.
    Tom
  • BamaBackdraft
    Options
    Check out "The Naked Whiz" web site. Tells you everthing you need to know about cooking on the BGE you will ever need to know.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    I'm trying to recall the size of mine. I think it was 8.5 there abouts. I have a large egg and I filled 1/2 way up the fire ring.
    I cleaned out the whole egg, of ashes below and took apart the egg so I knew there was nothing behind the firebox. I have a slight decline to my patio for drainage, so I have the reverse of what most have. Rather than the back burning first, I have more fire in front of my egg. When I looked after my 16.45 hour butt cook, the back of the charcoal was hardly touched. So I had enough to go another 16 hours without reloading.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    A butt will take anywhere from 12 to 20 hours, depending on the size and the temp you cook at. If you load the cooker up with charcoal so that the charcoal comes 1/2 way up the fire ring (not the fire box, but the ring that sits on top of the fire box), then you should be good for about 30 hours of 230-250 degree cooking.

Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    It will be done when it's done. :P

Fill the firebox up with lump. Set the temp and DO NOT touch the vents again. A full firebox should last you the entire cook.

Pulled Pork
  • Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    There can be significant variation between brands and batches of lump, but any of them should last your entire cook.

Of course, The Naked Whiz has detailed data on different brands of lump.