Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Woods for grilling lamb

FredcFredc Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all,

Hope everyone is having a good Sunday. Love this forum. I am grilling a leg of lamb this afternoon. Any suggestions on what to use for wood chips or chunks? Have had my egg since June and use it about three times a week at a min...

Thanks for any help.

Fred Croson
·

Comments

• "Sparky""Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    I like apple flavor on lamb,although I haven't tried anything else.I have only done a few legs. :)
    ·
  • BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
    Don´t forget to post some pics.....
    ·
  • i did a semi boneless last night. first on on the egg previous has been boneless or chops. boys said the flavor of the bone in was superior and requested it for future cooks. just different hunk of lamb???? or does bone in make a difference in flavor??
    bill
    ·
  • FredcFredc Posts: 10
    I have heard that the bone in is much better. I am using Mario Batali's recipe and he calls for bone in. When I went to the butcher this afternoon he cut the bone out unfortunately. Doing a 4 hour marinade.

Fredc
    ·
  • Olive wood is the bomb for roast lamb.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,737
    Apple has been mentioned. I like pecan and guava also. Sometimes I will use rosemary twigs from my plant either by itself or mixed with the above mentioned.
    ·
  • I have not seen Olive wood in the stores. do you know where one can buy it.

Thanks
    John
    ·
  • You should be able to get it at a BBQ specialty store or Bass Pro. Stephen Raichlen packages it with the rest of his product line.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Grapevine is good.
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    dass mah boyee!

...lilac might also work. gonna try that this easter.
    sounds purty, anyway
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·