Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two Butts Tomorrow!

BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's been a while since I've done an overnight cook (I think the last time was for the Superbowl). I'm having some friends over tomorrow, and I'm not sure how many are going to show up. I tried to find two smaller butts, but the smallest I could find were about 6.5 lbs each. But they're only .99 cents a pound, so I bought both. I might end up with lots of leftover pork! I think I'll start them around 7 or 8 tonight (guests are supposed to show up around 3:00).[p]I put the two butts on a roasting rack to see if they would fit. They just barely do, but I will have to stick them together, or put one on its edge. I think I'll put one on sideways, then move it once both have shrank some. [p]My brother's bringing greens, and most of my friends are bringing musical instruments. I hope this rain goes away - my jam parties are always better outdoors.[p]Have a great weekend, everyone!

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    BluesnBBQ,
    Just in time. I have much interest in how this turns out for you. I am planning on doing 2 butts real soon. Any tips would be appreciated. I'm curious if any part of the butt hanging over the plate setter will get too dry or cook too fast. Good luck and keep us posted!!
    Thanks

Apollo Beach, FL
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    "I'm curious if any part of the butt hanging over the plate setter will get too dry or cook too fast."[p]I don't have a plate setter - when I cook indirect I just use a drip pan and roasting rack. When you cook at low temperatures I don't think you need to worry about anything drying out. And a butt is full of internal fat that breaks down. Even if the outside gets dry the inside won't. I've never had any troubles cooking butts this way. I might just use the second grid over a bigger drip pan (the water pan from my old water smoker), but cleanup is so much easier with the foil pan and roasting rack.