Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just getting started II

Options
SmokeChef
SmokeChef Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
dcs00282sm.jpg
<p />Didn't know how to post a pic for last post. Let's see if this works.

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    SmokeChef,[p]Well I must say, that is one fine and true outdoor table.[p]Dang, I like it. Looks downright impervious and lightweight.[p]Ok let's hear the story on that 'cause I want one just like it for my own large. :~)[p]WD
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    SmokeChef,
    WOW.....Awesome job, and a great idea...[p]Wess

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    SmokeChef,
    I really like that table - lightweight and plenty of storage space.[p]The only thing I would be concerned about is the heat on that bottom shelf. The heat from mine has broken TWO different types of bases. First, I had it sitting on a porcelain (not ceramic) tile. Was sitting outside and ***POW!!!*** - a VERY loud bang. Walked over to the egg and the ceramic tile was split into about a dozen pieces. By the time I finished the cook, the wood that was under the tile was scorched.[p]I have since replaced this with a 3/4 inch stone from my local rockyard, and it now has a hairline crack after just one cook (porkloin at 350-375). Not sure what my next base will be, suggestions welcome.......[p]I guess the moral of the story is to get SOMETHING under there - otherwise it may melt the paint right off the bottom.[p]- Mike

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    SmokeChef,[p] Great job on the table & nice clear picture. Can i suggest you go with a smaller picture next time as some folks computers take awhile to down load such a large one & they give up before they are able the view & enjoy seeing the new ideas..
    Keep them coming.[p]Earl

• Charcoal Mike, 3/4" stone huh? Well I cracked a 2" cement stepping stone before I realized it was still best to use the 3 green feet for sake of circulation.

• SmokeChef,
    very nice cart! Seeing that the BGE is sitting directly on the metal bottom without the feet then I believe - naw make that know - your all metal cart is going to get hot - very hot sometimes. At the same time that lower shelf will expand from that heat and the weight of youe BGE will cause it to start to indent and sag and then the paint burns off and the metal under starts to rust. This is not meant as sour grapes, but instead a suggestion to use the feet before your handsome new table gets initated.

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    There is a new egg shop in Orlando that is selling those tables. Heard of them, that is the first I have seen.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    Options
    Wardster,[p]Where in Orlando. I got a similar setup from Barbques Galore in Altamonte Springs, but it closed down. The only real difference is I have a stainless steel top to mine. Love it.[p]I have been using it for 1 1/2 years and the metal is yet to sag, paint to peel, or rust. However, erroring on the side of conservatism (using green feet) would not be a bad idea.[p]Let me know where the new egg shop is, please.
  • SmokeChef
    Options
    Fellow Eggers, Thanks for all your comments. I am always open for suggestions. I made this table in my spare time. I used expanded sheet metal for the top and bottom shelf to allow air circulation around the bottom of the egg and to lessen the impact of rain/snow. I supplemented the shelf support immediately under the egg with two steel cross members (not sure if you can tell from the photo). Had the whole thing powder coated to help resist the elements. The metal allows my Polder to magnetically attach quite well.[p]Next picture, I will make smaller so down-load time is less.[p]Thanks
    SmokeChef

• SmokeChef, I admit I had not caught the two support braces underneath when I posted my thoughts. You'll will not have the sagging problem I feared though I know the bottom will get hot - especially for "little fingers" if that applies. Good luck and welcome to the family!

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    SmokeChef, that is one nice table. However, the Naked Whiz will be around to tell you "More Bracing!". Don't listen to him. He just likes braces. In fact he has gone to suspenders over belts. :-))[p]Seriously, that is a great table. Any idea as to how much time it took and the cost of materials? You know, with some high temp green paint, you would have the ultimate cart.

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    SmokeChef,[p]I must say, it didn't take you long to start contributing. That is a fine looking cart. [p]FYI, to save download/upload bandwidth, but still have a nice pretty large picture, you can change the JPEG compression so that it prioritizes size vs. quality. A small adjustment has a big effect on size.[p]Thanks for sharing![p]--sdb
  • SmokeChef
    Options
    Wise One,
    I was in a hurry to get it together so I could get cooking as soon as possible. I spent the better part of a day and one half cutting, welding and sandblasting for the powder coat finish. I have about $200 in it. It was a fun project.

• SmokeChef
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Built it myself. Drew up plans based on the wood table plans on this web site. Took a couple days to cut, weld and make ready for powder coat. I enjoy making stuff like this almost as much as I do cooking (almost!).[p]Thanks for your kind remarks.

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Cajun,
    Sure thing. I must check with my buddy who lives in Orlando, I'm in Tampa. He told me about it and they opened up a couple months ago. I'll post when I get it.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Charcoal Mike
    Options
    kat,[p]You just sealed the deal for me. 2 inches cracked - wow. I had been thinking about going back to the feet. Not as stable, I don't think, as the entire egg sitting flush against a stone, but you gotta do what you gotta do.[p]Thanks -[p]Mike

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    SmokeChef,
    outstanding job on the table
    for those concerned about breaking the insulators under thier eggs try fire brick.

[ul][li]Old Faithfull[/ul]