Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork steak temp ?

Big E
Big E Posts: 51
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just wondering do you cook a pork steak just like a pork chop ? I've heard I need to do it with a less temp & a little more time to get a nice tender steak. Going to get some ready for dinner. Thanks !!

Comments

• I don;t know if they will come out really tender. I have both done ways, hot and fast. Then slow smoked at 225. Someone puts them in BBQ sauce in a pan for a couple hours finishing them off.

Mike
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    You know...with pork, the cuts are not quite as consistent as with beef..you can cut a 'pork steak' from several different parts of the hog...I would say if you think it is a pork shoulder steak and it is well marbled then low n slow should be the way to go...slow enough to render all that artery cloggin fat out ;) ..if it's cut from a loin, then I would cook more like the chop.. this is why you see some varying results for a 'pork steak' ...it may be coming from different parts of the hog...dunno if that helps, but there it is..
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Just about any way you cook a pork steak, they will come out good. Thickness will play a big factor in what method you select. All of these set-ups work.

Grilled direct 250° - 275° measured at the grate.

Grilled direct on a raised grate. 250° - 275° measured at the grate.

Barbecued with an indirect set-up. 225° to 300° measured at the grate

Grilled or barbecued until 160° then finished in a foil pan or wrapped in foil.

A full pork steak page is in the PORK section of my site. Link is below.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Big E
    Big E Posts: 51
    Thanks for all the advice folks. I should have stated that it is from the shoulder. They came from a hog I had butchered at the locker and thought I would try something different. Though I am looking forward to the nice big loin in the freezer.