Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PBS Food Programs

Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
PBS was my main diet for cookin' shows before FOOD TV came along. I taped upteen episodes of Cucina Amore, Justin Wilson, Julia Child and many more. But now, out of boredom, I'm considering going back as TFN is letting me down. Are there any fans here who can recommend their favorite shows and/or chefs? TIA!

Rascal

Comments

• i used to watch pbs cooking all saturday afternoon but lack the time now .
    i like lidias italy , she is a real chef and i have picked up some good tips. americas test kitchen occasionally has some good ideas. martin yan is always entertaining. i do miss jacques pepin and julia. and just bought
    julia child and co
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Thank you! Your reply led me to some interesting sites! 8 - )

Rascal
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    I like Americas Test Kitchen and Lidia's Kitchen, but I really do not catch them all that often.

I saw a couple of Lidia's shows and am thinking of getting her book.
  • The nice thing about the PBS cooking shows is that they are about cooking! I'm watching Food Network less and less. I'm sure they know what they are doing but I've had it with watching Emeril yuk it up with a live audience. And he's a talented guy. I miss the early shows such as Two Fat Ladies, Two Hot Tamales, and even Taste with David Rosengarden. Please don't make me watch another cake decorating competition or another episode of Unwrapped! I watch Test Kitchen on PBS fairly often. Is Rick Bayless still on?

Paul
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    emeril just got 45 million in cash and 5 mil in stock from martha stewart. maybe he ain't as dumb as i thought!

grrrr.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Memphis
    Memphis Posts: 144
    I hardly watch TFN anymore for those same reasons. Remember when MTV first came out. It was all music/videos. Now it is everything but.... The Food Network is becoming the same way. I watch it to learn - not to watch some "celebrity" chef stroke his/her own ego by doing a throwdown or dinner imposible.
  • emeril was the first and only chef of food network when it was filmed in an apartment in nyc and there was no money to pay him . i have suspected , for a long time, that he has a stake in tfn . is that what her highness paid him for ?
    bill
  • I have no beef with Emeril. He's good at what he does. Like Bill, I remember the early stuff he did. It was about cooking, technique and flavor. Now it's like a game show. I've become a semiregular watcher of No Reservations and Bizarre Foods. Those shows are more about travel and eating than cooking. But I like travel and eating.
    Paul
  • I like to watch Chef Paul Prudhomme on PBS - check your local PBS station for air times - his Louisiana Kitchen cookbook is excellent!
  • I like to watch Chef Paul Prudhomme on PBS - check your local PBS station for air times - his Louisiana Kitchen cookbook is excellent!
  • NJ-GrEGG
    NJ-GrEGG Posts: 171
    Lately I have been interested in Chef Walter Staib. He owns and operates The City Tavern here in Philly which dates back the the Colonial period. Much of his cuisine focuses on food from that period, which of course was cooked on open fire. ( Ben Franklin would have loved the Egg! )

Lately he has been paying homage to cuisine of the Black Forest which is a blend of German, French, and Italian dishes.

If you have Comcast you can find him on one of your local Comcast channels. Here he's on CN8.