Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Reynolds Handi-vac Sealer yes/no?

Options
Darnoc
Darnoc Posts: 2,661
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How well does this unit perform for being so low in cost?I usually freeze meats of all kinds or leftovers.

Comments

• Bob-O
    Bob-O Posts: 211
    Options
    We really like ours. Bags can be resealed. For the money, I can't see how you can go wrong.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    hmmm...jus checked amazon..these things are only 17bux...called wiffie and caught her at Target..they're only $8.49 there!!.. :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Thank you for the speeding bullet report.Will take a run to the store and check it out first hand.If I don't use it for meats it will work with fishing bait.I am hoping both jobs will get done.Have a great weekend.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    I have both this one and also the larger vacu-seal type unit. I use this one for things like cold cuts, cheeses, left-overs that are being stored in the fridge. I also use it for seasoned nuts I keep in the freezer and pull out for salads. I use it for things I'm resealing a lot, getting in and out of. It works great on anything that does not go into the freezer. For some reason, it more often than not will lose it's vacuum once it gets into the freezer. The trick may be that your food needs to take up most of the room in the bag you use, but the bags only come in two sizes.

I use the larger vacuum unit for things that are going into the freezer for longer term storage and it works fantastic. I also use the larger unit to reseal things like chip bags, frozen corn, etc. My only complaint is the large amt of wasted bag. It wastes about 3 inches on each end that gets sealed.

I really like both units and would recommend them both. My cheeses are lasting a lot longer with the reynolds piece. I love it and plan to get it for all my sibs for xmas next year. My only complaint is that the bags aren't easier to find. I am still trying to convince one of our stores here to carry them.

Gwen
  • Eggtucky
    Options
    Well on amazon out of 44 reviews it scored 24x 5 stars...and even if it only works marginally better than nothing..for 8bux it's that much better ;)..told the wiffie to go ahead and get one for that price I'd try it...
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    I have both as well and I concur exactly with your comments. It really is very nice for sealing things (like sausage in my case) that you want to get often.
  • Eggtucky
    Options
    what type of 'larger vacu seal unit do you have/use?
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    One thing I found was that initially I was pressing the pump to the valve with too much pressure. You only need to apply a bit of pressure to start it removing the air from whatever you're sealing. Pressing down harder does not help whatsoever.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    i agree with gwen.
    i use my reynolds of the expensive parmesan and what ever she said .
    bill
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    We've had one for 5 or 6 months now. It's our only sealer, so it gets used for both long and short term freezing. Seems to hold up well in both applications.

I'm able to get most of the air out of the bag by jiggling the bag while running the pump. This lets me use a bag that seems way too big: like a quart bag for 2 ounces of hazelnuts, of a gallon bag for 1/4 pound of bacon.

Ken
  • Eggtucky
    Options
    Yah..wiffie just came on with the one from Target..was like $8.49 or sumthin ridiculous!!.. tried it on some roasted almonds I had sitting around...works pretty darn good for the money!! :P :P