Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just for the Halibut

Gordy
Gordy Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Being politically correct and not buying (or cooking) Chilean Sea Bass (doesn't hurt the halibut is cheaper either). Need one of those expert forum super dooper halibut receipes so my kids will beg for halibut they way they do for sea bass please.[p]By the way did anyone read USA Today yesterday? Article on the front page about how healthy oily fish is.[p]Thanks,
Gordy

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Gordy,
    One of my favorite fish to grill! I like to make a paste with some mustard, peanut oil, and seasonings and slather it on about 30 minutes before cooking. Or just a dusting of seasonings, and drizzle with oil. Or some wet jerk seasoning if you are in the mood.[p]I like to cut the filets (hopefully at least 1 inch thick) into manageable strips...say 4 inches wide... and grill them over a hot clean fire for just a few minutes per side. Just until seared on side one, then carefully flip (only once) and go on side two just until it wants to start flaking. With a good 600 fire, and 1 inch thick filets, it will take no more than 5 or 6 minutes probably. [p]Just a few idears. Keep us posted.
    Beers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Gordy,[p]i did halibut last night and it turned out great.[p]Here is a recipe from GFW and JJ that works great. [p]
    GFW wrote: "MAC, I use JJ's method of 10 minutes per side per inch of thickness at 350 degrees - I think you are right on target - the marinate I used... [p]1/2 Cup Lemon Juice (1 lemon balance was Real Lemon)
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    2 tbls Paprika
    1 tbls onion flakes
    2 tsp dried basil
    2 tsp dried thyme leaves
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1 tsp dried parsley
    1/2 tsp black pepper"[p]I modified his recipe and used a flavored oil (sesame or peanut) and skipped the parsely, thyme, basil and onion. I kept the paprika and just used a sprig of fresh rosemary, salt and pepper. I let the halibut sit in the marinade for up to three hours, cooked at 350-400 on a veggie grill (lots of small holes) and turned once after 10 minutes. After the flip I checked every coupla minute for doneness. Mine was finishe at eight minutes on the second side.[p]CB

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Gordy,[p]Here are a couple of my favorites. Not sure about your kids or how old they are...my 6 & 12 year olds would NEVER eat fish! LOL[p]Enjoy!![p]Stogie
    ____________________________________________________________[p]Indian Sea Bass [p]CATEGORY(S):
    Seafood[p]INGREDIENTS:
    4, 6 ounce Sea bass, fillets
    2 tablespoon(s) Olive oil, virgin
    2 teaspoon(s) Lemon juice
    1 teaspoon Ginger, fresh, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon Garlic, minced
    1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
    1/2 teaspoon Chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon Cumin powder
    1/2 teaspoon Kosher (coarse) salt
    1/4 teaspoon Black pepper, coarsely ground
    1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper[p]PREPARATION:
    Combine marinade ingredients.[p]Cover fish with marinade and refrigerate for 30 minutes.[p]Remove from marinade and coat each side with oil.[p]Grill over direct high heat for about 5-7 minutes TOTAL, turning once about halfway through.
    ____________________________________________________________[p]Southwestern Fish [p]2 pound(s) Fish
    4 teaspoon(s) Cumin powder
    2 teaspoon(s) Salt
    2 teaspoon(s) Black pepper, coarsely ground
    6 tablespoon(s) Sour cream
    6 tablespoon(s) Mayonnaise
    3 tablespoon(s) Lime juice
    1 clove Garlic, crushed
    pinch Salt[p]PREPARATION:
    Season fish with salt and pepper.[p]Coat fish with dusting of cumin. Pat firmly into fish.[p]Brush fish with oil and grill to your doneness.[p]Combine remaining ingredients and whisk together.[p]Serve Lime Cream sauce on top of fish. Let come to room temp before serving.

• Gordy
    Gordy Posts: 49
    Thanks Guys, that was quick. I had the three thick fillets marinating in Italian dressing with minced garlic and a touch of Soy Sauce. The fillets still have the skin so I guess I cook skin side down first (hot) and then flip after 3-5 minutes.[p]My kids are 7 and 12 and love anything their Dad cooks on Humpty