Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib overkill???

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Baby backs - 24 hours marinate in "goop" (buttermilk/mustard/JJ's rub)...Pat dry (then rub some more?)...Smoke using hickory and the 3/1/1.5 method...[p]Would brining the ribs for a day before starting the above process be overkill?

Comments

• Headhunter,
    In a word....yes. I think you've already gone there.[p]This isn't rocket science. The more you mess with the meat, IMHO, the more it tastes like crap. [p]
    This is for loin backs only.
    Step 1: rinse, pat dry
    Step 2: peel membrane from bone side
    Step 3: apply a light coat of rub on both sides
    step 4: spray rub down w/ apple juice
    step 5: place in preheated pit between 225-240
    step 6: remove from heat after TWO HOURS
    step 7: apply a medium coat of rub again
    step 8: spray rub down w/ apple juice again
    step 9: wrap well in foil
    step 10: put back on pit
    step 11: remove from pit after two more hours
    step 12: eat[p]Nothin' fancy...done in 4 hours flat. No muss no fuss.

• Jolly Roger,
    Couldn't have been stated better. I was going to suggest massaging for 4 hours before gooping (hehe). Jolly, are those direct or over a drip pan or what? When is dinner?

• Seth Howard,
    I don't use an egg, so the eggcifics are going to have to come from someone else.[p]I do mine indirect in a WSM.

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Headhunter,[p]Last time I did ribs I used the Goop and I thought they were as good or better than any I had done before.[p]Let us know how your's turn and include a picture if you get the chance.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• Jolly Roger,
    Ummmmmm, "Already fell of the Bone ribs".. What kind of spoon you eat those with ?? Sorry, had to be said...

• Headhunter, Use the goop for ribs. Used the 3/1/1.5 method. Didn't "pat dry" left goop on which formed a nice crust.

• Thanks for all the feedback so far...
  • Q.N.E. tyme,[p]Try it once to see for yourself. They don't fall off. They have the slight tug needed for kcbs contests.[p]Works for me!

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Headhunter, Trying not be a smart a$$. The only over kill is having babybacks 7 nights a week. Sounds good to me and will try ASAP.[p]CWM

• Jolly Roger,
    I dd try it once Steve, out of curiosity.. Well I did that GFW 2/1/ 2
    (something like that) When I opened the foil, I saw mucho Bone.. I had to gengerly kinda slide them out of the foil and onto the grill. They did firm up after the time on the grill. I cant imagine them after two hours in foil.. It would be soup.. Babys can be done in 4 hours and less anyway, if you cook a little higher.. [p]
    Dylan

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Hey Dylan![p]Foiling for 2 1/2 - 3 hours is pretty common on the MIM circuit. Many of the top teams use a Jimmy Maxey water smoker...usually double pits on trailers. Not sure why it works for them or for me and my WSM, but they come out fine. [p]They keep their cookers at exactly 225º and will cook their baby backs for 6 hours...the last 3 wrapped.[p]You do have to pay attention very closely at the end, but 20 minutes prior to serving, unwrap and sauce.[p]That is how I now prepare my competition ribs.[p]I agree with Steve also...too much puttering around and you will ruin a good meat.[p]Stogie[p]
  • Stogie,
    Well, dont know, sure didnt work for me the time I tried it.. I use the baby back from Sams, what are they about 1 3/4 pounds.. I cant imagine cooking them that long with three hours in foil.. Mine ususally go for 3 hours and thats at 275°, not that much higher than you..
    I rub them, hook them, hang them, cook them, and eat them.. Cant get any simpler than that.. Lets do a cook some day, I will do your way and you try mine, and we can e mail each other the results... [p]Dylan

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Dylan:[p]I do not have much use for foil either. Blessings to those that have positive results with that technique, but it is not for me.[p]Anyone try "direct" in the upper dome region of a BGE?

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Hey Dylan![p]Foiling continues to be the "lightning rod" of BBQ! It has become pretty prevalent on the KCBS circuit...but there are those that still win ribbons without foiling. So, in the end, it's whatever YOU like. I know my guests prefer that "fall-off-the-bone" tenderness, so that is what I will serve them. [p]Try to educate them to how a rib SHOULD taste??? NO thanks! Been there done that! "Give me tender", they chanted![p]I would love to try cooking ribs at the higher temps. I grew up on John Willingham's advice.....low temps of 225º.[p]I know several cookers who cook at these higher temps and the results seem to be very good....many ribbons won.[p]I have tested most techniques, but have been pretty adamant about sticking to 225º. So, perhaps it is time to try something a bit different.[p]Stogie