Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

not one BUTT question, BUTT two!!!!

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to do two butts soon. I am curious if there is any different patters to look for cooking two, rather than one. Longer times and such.
Also, I imagine, and from what i've seen on some pics, that the outer edges of either butt will hang over the plate setter, thus cooking quicker than the majority, which is still 100% indirect. Should I not worry about this, rotate them???
I am having people over before me wedding and want to feed them all. Thinking about 20 people. Will this be enough for a sandwhich per person???
Thanks again.

Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• DrummerDawg
    Options
    Wardster,[p]I cooked two 7-pound butts for super bowl party this year. That was the only time I have done 2 at once. There were 12 people there and some had 3 sammiches. We still had some left over. As a general rule I use the .5 pound per sammich rule. That will give you pllenty plus some left over to freeze.[p]On the other question - I had a much harder time with 2 butts that I do with one. My setup is a V-rack on a drip pan. I didn't get nearly as much fat breakdown in this setup even thought the temps rose to 200 after 24 hours. This was my "worst" butt cook although people at the party raved over the PP.[p]I will be doing a couple more multiple-butt cooks this spring/summer so I will be trying to perfect that setup. I too will be interested in what people post on this topic.[p]DD
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Wardster, cooking times are estimated based on weight of individual pieces ASSUMING they are not too closely packed together. The time to do two 7 lb butts is not appreciably greater than the time to do one as long as there is a separation between the two pieces. Estimate 2 hours per pound. As for how much, SERVINGS=2.4xLBs of BUTT. SERVINGS NEEDED=(MENx2)+(Women)+(Children). Let's say your 20 people are ten men and ten women. Need 30 servings. 30 divided by 2.4 says you need 12.5LBs of butt. Of course, that assumes there's none left over for Pulled Pork Enchiladas. ;-)

• DrummerDawg,
    The question is at what temp were the butts (grate temp)
    and how long were they at an internal from 155º and up. If you spent a large amount of time getting to 155º, that time is not breaking down collegen or rendering fat. That cook should normally take 14 to 16 hours, but I have the butts to 155º in 4 to 6 hours.
    Jim[p]

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Wise One, I posted this to the wrong spot:
    I should have included this as a preface to that equation:
    HOW MUCH MEAT?
    For pulled pork, a typical sandwich (or serving) is 4 oz of cooked meat. For adult males, you might want to plan on 2 sandwiches per person. For women and children, plan on one sandwich per person. The average butt loses about 40% of its weight while cooking. So, to get 6 pounds of cooked pork (24 sandwiches) you would need to start with 10 pounds of butt (2.4 servings per LB of uncooked meat).[p]