Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizzas

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My husband and I just purchased an egg yesterday and are really excited about using it for pizzas. Just wondering if anyone had any great pizza recipes to offer.[p]Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    Options
    Daisy,[p]Go to the recipes section listed at the top of the forum. Under Pizza, bread, etc. there's a really good recipe for New York Style pizza submitted by Spin. It's split into 3-4 parts, so be sure to look at 'em all. [p]There's lots of good folks here that'll come to your aid if you need any help. Just holler and we'll come a-runnin'![p]Enjoy your new toy and keep of informed about your cooking experiences.[p]--Kevin

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Daisy,[p]
    Spins ears really perk up when pizza posts come into view. He has a great deal of knowledge and experience to help. Kevin gave you great advice as well. My first pizza experience as a newbie was a disaster so I can't chime in at all. 2nd one was a goodin though.[p]Have fun with your new egg.[p]It's a gas![p]Mick

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Daisy,
    Congrats on your very wise decision. You did good. As for pizzas, there are a lot of recipes and style variations out there. You will probably hear about some of them through the Forum. Meanwhile, if you just want to try one to get the feel and flavor of an Egged Pizza, buy a DiGiorno Pizza Supreme from your local grocer's frozen food section. We love it so much we don't even try to make one from scratch. A lot easier and probably cheaper.[p]Be sure you purchase the BGE accessories such as a plate setter and pizza stone. You will need them when cooking pizza.[p]Good luck.[p]SC

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Daisy,
    We just did our first pizzas a couple of nights ago. We didn't get fancy. Bought the Betty Crocker dough in a bag that all you do is add water, then roll out. We used jarred sauce, and our toppings. The first pizza, we rolled too thin, so we made a calzone, the others we went a little thicker on the crust and they turned out great. The kids said they were better than Pizza Hut!

[ul][li]Pizza Page[/ul]
  • Daisy,[p]Pizza requires great dough and high heat. It becomes "suddenly bread" when put into a high heat oven like the BGE. Here's a recipe for fantasic dough.[p]Day Before put in mixer bowl: 4 oz. cake flour, then reset scale and add 13 oz. King Arthur all-purpose flour. Add 2 t. sea salt.[p]Into 1 1/4 c. warm water (105-115) stir 1 t. active dry yeast (NOT "fast rising" type, "instant" is fine) until blended (about 1 min.) Sprinkle yeast over water and let sit 1 min. Stir to dissolve yeast.[p]Mix in water with wood spoon until a soft dough forms. You want it fairly sticky. (Doesn't quite stick to your fingers, but feels sticky.) Put in the dough hook and knead on speed 1 for 12 minutes. Push down with spatula as needed.[p]Lightly coat a bowl with mild olive oil. Mold dough into ball. Turn ball in bowl to coat with a little oil. Let rise for 1 1/2 hours. Put into plastic bag and leave in fridge until the following day.[p]5:00 the following day: Divide dough into 2 balls, put in 2 plastic bags, pat down to about 6 inch circles and let sit to warm up until about 7:30. Flip them now and then and put on top of a rack to speed warming if necessary.[p]Roll out to about 12-14" using a floured wooden surface, and if you wish a rolling pin.[p]Heat oven to 600 1/2 hour ahead of baking time; stabilize the temperature.[p]Optional: Slowly cook in 2 T. mild olive oil: mushroom slices and 1 thinly sliced med. onion until just barely golden and limp. Salt them just a little. [p]Make oil sealer (for 2 pizzas): 1 t. sugar, 4 T. mild, non-virgin olive oil, 1 med. pressed garlic clove.[p]Spread: Oil sealer, San Marzano crushed tomatoes, sliced fresh mozarella, 1/2 of the cooked onions, small pieces sweet Ital. sausage (cooked), slices of pepperoni, diced green pepper.[p]Put in oven on pizza stone for 4-6 min until done.[p]Let sit on a rack to cool for 2 min. Serve.

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    Daisy, congratulations on your wise purchase - enjoy it for many years.[p]i've been making pizza for many years now, using a regular oven on baking pans. i now make pizza on BGE. My recipe follows:
    Sauce:
    1 large can crushed tomato (i like hunts).
    1 small onion finely chopped.
    1 teasp. salt
    1 tablsp olive oil
    5 grinds of black pepper from my grinder.
    1 tablsp basil.
    1 tablsp oregano.
    saute onions in the olive oil for a few minutes.
    add the tomatos, salt, pepper & herbs.
    on medium heat stir from time to time cooking for 20 min.[p]Pizza dough:(food processor method)
    1 cup water(room temp)
    1 pack yeast
    1 tablsp olive oil
    1 teasp salt
    +/-3 cups Breadflour (always best when using yeast)[p]pour water into processor, add yeast - give a quick pulse.
    add about 1 cup breadflour, salt & oil - give a few quick pulses.
    add 1 1/2 cup more breadflour & process to form a ball- adding more flour as needed. the dough should not be sticky, so adjust the flor used to get a fairly firm, smooth dough.
    remove from the processor bowl & place on a floured surface to knead it a few more times by hand.
    place the dough in a covered bowl to rise til double +/-1 1/2 hours.
    remove from the bowl, punch down & form ino two balls that can be rolled out into 2 12" pizzas.
    ( you may want to fold over the edges, to give an edge crust/rim to contain sauce & ingredients)
    my last BGE bake was @ 400°F 35-40min. [p]