Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Big Wish!

Options
BajaTom
BajaTom Posts: 1,269
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my egg for over 10 years now. I lurked for 2 or 3 years before I ever posted. I am not nearly as an accomplished egger as some on this forum. I copy many recipes off this forum that I will probably never make but love to add to my collection. I have seen many eggers leave for various reasons and miss many of them. I've watched the blow ups and the fights without getting involved very often. My wish is that we can get past all the controversy about the forum and get all the old posters and new posters to post. I don't care what forum we use because I'm not tech savy. I appreciate all the contributions made by the eggers on this . Thanks for letting me get on my soap box. Tom

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Tom,

Like you, I have had my first egg for over ten years and I lurked for several before ever posting. I agree with everything you said and would like to add one thing. There are literally hundreds of new people posting and probably many more lurking. This, in my opinion, adds to the impression that a lot of the older eggers are not posting. Why are there so many new guys?
    Did you ever see a post where someone asked "why should I buy an egg?" and someone answered you shouldn't. This edit function is great! I forgot to add that a lot of us have encouraged others to buy them as well

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Warthog
    Options
    I have to agree as well. I am a "newbie". I lurk more often than I post and one reason for that is so that I do not stir anything up. When I do post, it is often a very safe question or some very generic input. ( I am having second thoughts about posting this one!) When I do post a new question, I do so only after searching the older posts to make sure that it has not been discussed recently. I think the main reason for this was due to some of the responses posted to questions concerning how to cook turkeys around Thanksgiving.

I read the forum almost everyday. I was drawn to the original forum because of the welcome feeling that I got from reading the posts. I was signed up before I even purchased my egg, and the forum played a large role in the decision to purchase my egg last year at PNW Eggfest. For the most part, that is still here, in the new forum. Like Baja Tom, the style or format of the forum is not important to me. What is important, to me, is that anyone can log onto this forum and feel as if they have connected to a close knit, fun, friendly group of people with a very unique similar interest.

As a "newbie", I look to many of you to answer the same questions you may have had at some point during your early years with the egg. I have gained some very valuable information from here. I am not saying that I want this smarmy, touchy, feely atmosphere. I also like it when stumpbaby chimes in! But in just the last week, I learned how to post pictures, update my profile, how to cook a roast, and planned my weekend cook for 12! How cool is that. And all this from people who I have never met before and may never meet face to face.

You "older" members are a valuable asset to me and are what makes this forum what it is. Everybody was/is a "newbie" at some point.

Warthog
    (what do I have to do to be more than a "newbie")
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    "Everybody was/is a "newbie" at some point. "
    Well put, and that is one of the best things about the people here. They are willing to answer the same questions over and over again, being respectful, and never condescending. -RP
  • Rusty Rooster
    Options
    I is even better than that. It made me feel good when I was able to pass on info that had been given to me by one of the Old Guard. Kinda like now I belong at least a little bit, ya know.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    That's just it. We are all newbies at one time or another regardless of what we're new at. None of us should have to wear the flame retardant gear or the high temp gloves when visiting the forums. It is so much easier and quicker to just go on to the next message if someone sets you off then to take the time to post a not very nice message and let the whole world know what type of person you really are. I've been on forums and BBS for many years and we all need to keep in mind that it is difficult to tell if someone is smiling when they make a post or if they are angry. Heck, if someone calls you a name, just go on past it and don't respond. They will probably wish in 20 minutes or less they hadn't said it and now can't take it back. It is also possible that you may be the one who is mis-interpreting the message and it you aren't reading it the way the sender intended.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    GROUP HUG!! :woohoo: :woohoo: ..no just kidding..some nice posts in this thread