Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Be careful what you wish for............

2»

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    you know i have been reading alot of the talk today and i have to say i am more like what you say (without all that computer mumbo jumbo). i guess i am more like you in the fact that i am not smart enough to participate in any other forums. i have seen a few and have postwed one one or two but they were always slower (traffic wise) than BGE forum. oh well if ya'll will just tell me where you want me to post i will be fine

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    i put the different pages in the tool bar so i can open them up without going thru all that. you dont know how much frustration your missing without utilizing aol LOL
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fishlessman, I have AOL at the house and everything works fine. Slow, but it works. That said, I still haven't been able to register and am still in "visiter" mode. If the folks who want to limit postings to only registered users succeed, I will be out of luck, although I only have but a little to offer in the way of advice. I too, miss the old forum but not all the "Lost In...." stuff.
  • As many have stated, we didn't gain much ground moving to this format as compared to the newer vbulletin type forums. The part I don't understand is why BGE doesn't pay for a real Vbulletin type forum and some professional forum management rather than letting a couple guys try to do this forum management on their own time for free. I not knocking those guys, Thanks for all they have done !!! Obviously the forum has grown and maybe it's a bigger job and more responsibility that what they are able to handle now as compared to back in the day. I would think BGE would invest some money in what is probably the most important marketing tool they have rather than letting a couple guys flounder with it. BGE does seem to have some weird marketing strategies though, BGE's should be sittin in all the Home Depots and Lowes across the land right next to the Webers along with the full line of accessories but oh no, they want us to search our whole friggn state to find a dealer that know's his stuff or has the product and accessories we need and if that don't work then you get to call the mothership. Give me a break, not a very good marketing strategy and not good customer service in my opinion. Whatever... All this doesn't change the fact that BGE's are still the best smoker on the planet!!! Peace...
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    I too prefer the old forum but I'll continue to post here when I have something to say. The problem is that I used to post on the old forum even when I didn't have anything to say and that was fun. Sort of like family. Now I have to login, read the post and respond. It makes me think more about it and so often I just iread the posts and don't respond because I am not logged in. ANd why am I not? I logged in 4 hours ago and my system has been up the entire time. Why log me out?

But, on another note, that's a snazzy looking avatar you have there.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    the problem i have using aol is that it will show me logged on, but im not, no profile section, users section, cant get into my own profile or look at others, cant email anyone from the site anymore, cant edit my posts, probably a few other things im not remembering. i can log on with internet explorer, but explorer is not working properly here on its own and something here wont let me download another version besides the point that i dont like explorer. once you get logged on with aol you might find those features wont work for you as others have the same problems with aol using this forum. if i need those features i log in using IE.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I think if you ask David Miller, the switch over has been in the works for a couple of years. The primary motivation for switching to something new (and this software in particular) was an attempt to keep the old guard happy by having a threaded view, but also try to make the folks who wanted new features and flat views happy by using software that could do both. I think that goal possibly has turned out to be more difficult than was anticipated. Personally, I'll go with whatever ends up happening, but I did like the old format better.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    It is not seasonal. I never really seen any of them back down because it's winter. Summer maybe, but not Winter and Spring.
  • BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    As a frequent visitor to other types of forums I feel like this new one is a step forward but still old. I love the style of modern forums. I like the way they are threaded. I like logging in and staying logged in. I wish the RSS feature on this board worked.

That being said I do like this one better than the old one.
  • I'm not sure I qualify as "Old Guard" although one might say it's half right. I've been reading/lurking/occasionally posting for 3 years or so.

I post more on this forum more than on the old for one, to me, big reason: On the old forum in some of the positng listings my originating computer (proxy server) was listed which reveals my employer since I read and post mostly at work. I don't like that and neither does my employer. A big vote in my book for the new forum; I am more anonymous.

I have for the past couple of years been reading from the "new" beta forum because I very much appreciate having the entire thread map shown below each post. With that it is easy no matter what I read to know who is answering whom.

I have little difficulty with log in because Firefox remembers the username and password. I just click log in and I am in. the only down side is I have to re-find where I was reading when I decided to log in. I'm expecting WMK will fix that soon.

Another benefit to all of you moving and working out the posting kinks is that you have all learned how to post so pix are visible in the new forum. For the past few years I missed a lot of pix because they were too big.

All in all, I am on the side of staying it out here. For what it's worth, I hope something, I will post more.

HH
  • I have been cooking on my new BGE XL for just a few months now and love it. I see why so many people become obsessed and very passionate about this amazing cooker.

Prior to buying the BGE, I have been grilling on a Weber gasser and smoking on a Weber Smokey Mountain for several years. They haven't been touched since I bought the BGE.

Most of what I know now about smoking came from the excellent (volunteer hosted) Weber Smokey Mountain bulletin board. I have been visiting it for years. Not once did I ever think the format didn't make sense or that it needed changing.

I've never seen any problem from spam or "trolls". I didn't even know what a "troll" was until I came to this board. We always had to log in to post something. That always made sense to me as it seemed necessary to maintain the integrity of the board. The moderator, Chris, works extremely hard (I don't know how he finds the time) to make sure posts are on topic and genuine.

Also, their are separate areas to post according to the topic of your post. Therefore, if you need to ask a newbie question that you think people might laugh at, you go to the "New WSM Owners" tab. If you want to find or post a recipe, you go to the "Recipes" tab. Seamless.

When old posts receive a new reply, they are moved to the top of the screen. Threads that are live don't disappear.

I understand that the moderators here are working for free and hate that they are having such trouble satisfying the masses. Good luck to them. There is great information to be had here and I probably won't stop coming no matter what happens. I hate to admit that I don't use my Weber grills much anymore, but I do go back to their forum because it's easier to find the info I need and there's so much less off-topic conversation (and no trolls).

Dr. BBQ started this thread. He also posts to the Virtual Weber Bulletin Board. Wanna see his posts there? Simple. Go to "Q&A with Dr. BBQ." One might ask him if he likes the VWBB format over this one or the old one?
    Here's the lonk: http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums
    Just my two cents. Good egging to all of you.

-Jay
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i am glad to see you are not totally gone..... i still need to do your wings... specially now that my fryer has died from wing related uses.. hey when you heading back up this way again? let me know and i will bring something out there to egg :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• EEEK!!! I'm not looking forward to any of that.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Seems like every time I go to post something I get done typing it and realize I'm not logged in, then have to go through the guest routine. The old forum was much more user friendly. -RP
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I have not read the responses as I've been busy so I don't know which way the wind is blowing. If I had my druthers I would be back with the old board in a heartbeat! There's just too much "overhead" and paths to follow which slows this new board down. I liked the spontanity of the old board in spite of the spammers and trolls.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    That Webber board is nice. very clean and easy to get around. I can see a lot of good points to it. I like this one too and can see alot of advantages over the old one, and some good points of the old one. that Webber site is pretty cool though.......
  • yeah. It's a shame that it is like this. Trying to please too many perhaps?
    I would pay without batting an eye if it meant a better experience.
    http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums is an example of a nice forum software. I know there are many others.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    that looks like the same software as the Webber site. I do like that it is divided into different conversations if you want to call them that. and they bump up to the top as posted into. some of the Rug Hooking Boards I am on are that way and they are easier to use.
  • Notice the check box in the "Post a reply..." box below each post. If you check that and put in your handle and password you post with your account and are logged in. You do not have to be a guest and guess what the funny letters are.
  • I bet we are more active than the Webber folks. Maybe we could all migrate over there and hijack their board and use it for the BGE? LOL
  • Ray -

Let me start by saying I'm a geek :lol: so a lot of this comes as second nature to me.

It would be nice if I could set wide view as a default, so it would switch without me having to do it, but I'm on so many different forums with different configurations that this is "just one of those @#&%$&@ software things".

As for the 'new window' - I've been using firefox for this forum from the get-go, and I have always opened each thread in a new tab. IE7 works the same way.

My biggest challenge is that I'm on dialup at home, so the photos take forever to load -- and at work we block flickr and photobucket. So on the NEW forum I get a blank that's sized to the image in my display; on the old forum, I just got a blank line or two.

We miss you, man!

Don't give up!

Tom