Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hammer-What did I do wrong on Pulled Beef?

Hammer
Hammer Posts: 1,001
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I cooked a couple of chuck roasts for pulled beef based on several of the recipes on the forum. Not Clay Q's.
I prepped the roasts the night before with mustard and rub as I usually do. Temp set at 250; internal 200; drip an with apple juice and additional spices.
After 12 hours the internal finally hit the 200;. I let it rest for 2 hours; tried to pull it, and it would not pull.
I ended up slicing it for sandwiches.
What happened? I've never had this problem before.
Thanks for your input!
Hammer

Comments

• Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Did you put your name in the subject line so you could search your own name and find this post? I have been thinking about doing that. Just curious.
  • Hammer
    No, I never thought of that. I just wanted to know what did I miss on this particular cook.
    Hammer
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Oh Ok. I just have trouble finding my posts and figured if I put my name in the subject line, then I could do a search on my own name and find all my posts. When I saw your name, I thought you might have thought the same thing......Sorry ....I'll let you get back to Qing questions.
  • Any possibility the meat probe could have read wrong, been in a fat pocket or next to bone?

I have braized chuck but take it to 225° and let it cook there for 1/2 to 1 hour. spoon cutable.

I have also done indirect the same method, bark was too well done so I need to fighre out when to foil. The pullability was good.

Kent
  • Further how big was the roasts and how was the texture when slicing? Did it seem like a few more degrees and it would have been pullable?

Kent
  • Hammer
    Kent,
    I double checked the temp with a thermopen, and it and the guru was identical. Damn if I know; it's puzzeling.
    Mitch
  • Hammer
    The texture was good, and I believe that I could have cooked it another three hours and it wouldn't have made a difference.
    Mitch
  • When I braise I cook at grid level 300° 6 to 8 hours, the time really doesn't matter as long as I don't loose the liquid.

I think I have the braised method nailed. It works great for roast dinner or pulled beef sandwhiches.

I haven't tested these at direct or indirect at that low of a temp. Wonder if thirdeye knows more with the way you were cooking?

Kent
  • eggstuff007.jpg

i did not add maple syrup , in all due respect , i do not like sweet on my meat,, meat gets salt and pepper and some hickory. if i remember clay Q'S inst. after he pulled it went back in a foil pan with liquid. these were two chuck eyes on the grill direct with hickory for an hour then 4 hours in the dutch oven, no lid, when it pulled into chunks i added 1 qt of beef stock and let it boil away, then i pulled it and added another qt of stock and let that boil away. it was wonderful, i suspect your problem was not cooking it with liquid at the end. this worked for me pretty much perfectly and i will do it again, BUT it was my first pulled beef, and not a planned cook, it just worked out, next time i will drain the fat. hope someone with more experience posts.
  • Hammer
    Thanks Bill! Next time, I'll try your method. Makes sense.
    Hammer
  • thanks but i just altered clay Q's method. i do belive that the stock made the difference though. bill
  • Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    Hammer;

I've been doing chuckies with a recipe that I got from http://www.kickassbbq.com

It basically goes like this:

* Indirect at 250 dome until the meat reaches 160-165
    * put them in an alum. pan, add a can of beer, cover with AF and return to egg for another couple of hours or until internal temp reachs 210.
    * Remove from egg, pull the meat and add bbq sauce.
    * cover with AF, and back on the egg for a couple of more hours.

Total cook times ~10 hrs for 2 large chuck roasts (6-6.5 lbs total weight)

2833419170102898903S425x425Q85.jpg

Cheers,
    Braddog
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i believe the foil stage is very important, it needs to be foiled at about 170 to 180 with a liquid. i use seltzer water which acts like a tenderizer as it braises with some vinegar based sauce. cook it this way until the temp is over 205 as far as 210 and ive always had good results. it doesnt pull as easy as a piece of pulled pork but it will pull. you can even do this same procedure with a leaner cut like a leg of lamb if you like the taste of mutton, the braising does work. higher internal temp and the braising step, either in foil or in a covered dutch oven. i also use a chuck eye roast from the center of a chuck roll, its a very clean piece of chuck without any grizzle or bones
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hammer
    Thanks for the reply. I'll try it as well.
    Regards
    Hammer
  • Hammer
    Thanks!
    Hammer
  • Hammer
    Thanks fishlessman. It appears that the answer is to foil with some liquid at the 170/180 mark.
    Thanks for your reply as well as everyone elses.
    Regards,
    Hammer