Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Many Eggs, Part 2

Ellen aka Gormay
Ellen aka Gormay Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my large BGE since Feb. and am loving it. I started thinking of getting a second BGE based on threads like the recent, "How Many Eggs". Forum folk have recommended smaller sized Eggs for quicker heat ups, less lump usage and having a second Egg of any kind allows one to cook a second thing simultaneously.[p]I am glad I have a large for those times when no other size would do. However, 90% of the time I cook just for two and I really don't need all that space. The reasons listed above have made the small Egg appealing as a second BGE.[p]Here is where I need some help from you multiple Egg owners. My local salesman (he owns 2 large Eggs) contends that the difference in the heating time and lump usage is insignificant. He advises me to get a medium rather than a small. Since his store only carries the large and getting any other size through him might be doubtful, I think he is just giving his honest opinion. [p]What do you folks who use different sizes think about variations in heat up time and lump usage between the different sizes. Will a small save a lot of time and lump as opposed to the large?[p]TIA
Ellen

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Ellen aka Gormay,[p]Owning both the large and small I would say heat up time has very little difference and the same goes for the lump usage. My decision was the gap of the price between the small and the medium and the amount literal size and weight difference of each. Other than that either would work about equal.

• James
    James Posts: 232
    Ellen aka Gormay,[p]This question comes up from time to time. The consensus is always. GET 2 Large! [p]I have had every size except for the small at one time or another, and I also agree that the heat up time differences are insignificant.[p]Good luck..[p]James
    BTW.. Hi everybody.. I haven´t posted in a couple of years, but I´m glad to see most of the old group is still here...

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Ellen aka Gormay, I also agree with your salesman regarding the startup and lump usage issue. They are all nice but if money is not an issue and you're not looking for something to travel with, get another large. IMO price and mobility are the biggest plusses to the smaller units. I am usually cooking for three and still have used the space of both of my larges. Quesadillas and pizza come to mind. In a few weeks I am doing pulled pork for 30, a rarity but still possible with two larges. I do like my mini and use it for camping and some small cooks but am glad I chose the 2nd large over a small or medium. I am sure you will be happy with whatever you get so again I would get the biggest you can afford. Have a great day.[p]Chuck <><

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Ellen aka Gormay,[p]The selfish side in me wants you to get a mini so I can "piggyback" on learnings from the "EAG Test Kitchens in AZ". :)[p]The mini can be so useful when cooking just for two. [p]Puj
  • Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Ellen aka Gormay,
    My second is a small. It works out great for me as I can lift it out of the nest in one piece and put it in the car. Sometimes I take it to relatives houses or parties. I simply lay a towel on the seat, set the egg on the seat and hold it in with a set belt.
    If I didn't see any need to transport it, I would have bought another large or at least a medium.
    B D

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Chuck ,[p]You should have no problem feeding 30 with 2 large eggs. I did 3-9 lb butts in my single large last year and it worked out great. Just get a good early start.[p]

• Hi Puj,[p]You gave me my smile for the day! I must confess, I have a little green memo pad in which I have documented every cook/bake and what worked and what didn't. It's been a big help in my "test kitchen" and I recommend the practice to all newbies.[p]I have read the other posts that follow yours (at this point in time) and it appears as there is not a significant difference in heatup time or lump usage. Having the second Egg to do a different cook simultaneously would be nice, but is not a huge requirement. Some advise always getting a large Egg, if affordably, since more space gives more options. I'm not utilizing all the space my one Egg gives now and so would have to think more about having even more space not being used.[p]Having stated the above, in my discussion with the salesman, he said he had no idea why people would buy a mini since it's small size was so limiting. I imagine it is good for camping and other traveling purposes, but what do you or anyone else know about it's cooking capacity and abilities i.e. how much of the usual foods like a whole chicken is it able to cook and for how long will a full amount of lump burn?[p]Inquiring minds want to know....
    Answers may be recorded in the future book "Ellen aka Gormay Test Kitchen Journal", but names will be changed to protect the innocent or not so innocent :-)[p]EAG (pronounced Egg, of course)

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Ellen aka Gormay,[p]Capacity, or lack there of, is the restricting factor of the mini. However, the beauty of the mini is its ability to be "quick to heat" and it hardly uses any lump at all.[p]As for what to cook in the mini ... for starters I'm going to roast four chicken breasts tonight in the mini as part of a roast chicken with fried noodles throw together dish. The Large and Small have the weekend off.[p]Other dishes that I've done on the mini include grilled shrimp and turkey pot pies. Hope this gives you some ideas.[p]Puj[p]

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Ellen aka Gormay, I have cooked a pork tenderloin (in a U-shape) on my Mini and I saw Rhum and Jerk cook ribs by rolling them up and cooking them standing on end. I can get 8 bratwurst on or 4 hamburgers (squeezed)on it. I have cooked a whole chicken breast and half of a pork loin. ZIt's pretty versatile and while I defintely would not want it to be my only cooker, I definitely like it.

• LasVegasMac
    LasVegasMac Posts: 183
    Big Daddy,[p]"I simply lay a towel on the seat, set the egg on the seat and hold it in with a set belt."[p]BD, a picture of that would be priceless - any chances?[p]LVM[p]
  • Dear Puj,[p]It sounds as if a mini would save startup time and lump and is more versatile than I thought. I don't imagine one could cook a whole (3.5 lb) chicken (certainly not on a V rack) on the limited space and I suppose a spatchcock chicken would be simply out of the question . If it were unable to cook a whole chicken (my most common thing to cook), that would be a serious drawback. Have you done any slow cooks on the Mini? If so, does its small amount of lump burn many hours?[p]I hope I am not belaboring this, but since you have a small BGE, how does it compare with your large. Do you too, find the heatup time and lump usage simular to your large? [p]TIA for all your time and help
    I'm still wondering if Mr Egg needs a little brother or sister or is destined to be an only child.[p]EAG aka EGG (I like this new name you gave me :-)