Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Be careful what you wish for............

Options
drbbq
drbbq Posts: 1,152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can we just go back to the old forum? I surf a lot of forums and none are as much of a hassle as this one. I visit and post much less now because of it and I doubt that I'm alone.
Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I agree with Ray.

Either go back to the old ancient format or move to a completely modern format such as vBulletin.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I have to say that I really don't miss the old forum. This one loads faster and seems to be at least as friendly. My only quibble is having to log in every visit, and that's so minor compared to the benefit I get from the forum that I'm almost embarrassed to say it.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    You're definitely not alone. I'm trying.......but, it really is aggravating compared to the old format. I got some SPAM a couple of days ago that was sent from my profile! :(
  • dhuffjr
    Options
    If you compare here to other forums I visit (I log in and don't have to log in again unless I've dumped temp memory/cookies) the page loads are just as fast (the increased in page loading has something to do with the new server purchased I suspect).

Overall there are new features yes but this format is cumbersome compared to the most up to date stuff.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Personally I could care less one way or the other.

However, I have noticed a severe lack of posting by the "Old Guard" If that is because of the hassles with the new Forum I'd rather convert back. I was asked yesterday what I thought was the best eggessory. At the time I really was at a loss, but now that I have had some sleep I will honestly say the BGE Forum is the best Accessory. Losing the "Old Guard" because of this software is simply not a viable option.

I have to agree with Ray that of all the forums I utilize this one is probably on the bottom of my "I like that software" list.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Once I learned the tics of this one I like it better BUT I didn't use the old format but a couple of months. One thing I don't like about eather one is that threads get lost and buried up in a hurry. No way to bump them back up like on most forums.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    hummm, folks seem to forget what forced the move in the first place.

GG
  • Little Steven
    Options
    You can select the flat view which lays out the same as some of the more "up to date" forums.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    I agree Ray. I definately don't visit anywhere near as much as before, which was a lot. It takes way to long to go back a page, half of the time I end up back at the top of the main page instead of the post I was on way down the page, sometimes I see photos and sometimes I don't, etc............I end up leaving frustrated. I guess it helps keep out those that are lost in some state somewhere but I didn't have to read that stuff if I didn't want to. There are a lot of names I used to see post all the time that rarely, if ever, post now. It's kinda sad.

Chuck
  • dhuffjr
    Options
    I've not forgot. I'm a moderator at a forum that is of a modern format. There are tools to edit and delete posters as well as give warnings and temporary bans before you outright ban someone.

You also have tools that can detect when someone is creating duplicate accounts for the purpose of creating trouble.
  • Ray,

I sure agree with you on this new forum. I don't plan to join as it is just way too slow with too many problems. I visit 16 other forums every day and this one by far is the worst.

I hope the people that voted for this new fouum are happy with the results. I see now where they voted all the guests off the forum. This should really work great for all the people that are out there looking at a new cooker as I am sure most won't take the time to register. Hell, it might take weeks!!!!

Wonder where all the forum people have gone???

Old Dave
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    A little trick. I just post and am automatically logged in.

Mike
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I actually like this forum format. It seems easy to use to me and I like how it's laid out, but I never used the old forum much.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    What does that matter if you are losing the very assets the BGE forum is meant to attract?

Personally I'd rather put up with the spam then to lose the input from from Ray, Nature Boy, Max, and dozen others. I have been cooking a long time, but I learn something from them all the time.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I understand all that, however, the folks that are doing all this for FREE, (hardware, software, labor) are the ones running the boat.

Wasn't it just a couple of weeks ago when the complaints were running rampent and one of the W's got dumped on.

Even our treasured drbbq got a few posts in on the LIU fray. No one would stop posting to the responses and many started calling for a change.

.. so I guess the topic subject is well said 'Be careful what we wish for.......'

I'm not interested in or trying to get getting anything going here, just some thoughts.

GG
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    anyone running aol and using this forum probably hates it as well. it just doesnt run properly with aol at all. not sure what your using, but i can really only view this forum in the last 25 mode. in aol you have to type your handle in every post, click the use my handle box, and enter your chosen password or that graffic password with every post. then after posting its actually easier to close the forum and reopen it anew than to try and get back any other way. main forum veiws take a good 40 seconds to load so try to never go there except for mondays to see what i missed and thats not worth the time and aggravation to catch up from the weekend for me, 40 seconds everytime i try to get back to the forum is just too much. i hear you. i never wanted to leave the old forum, knew it wasnt going to be a good change, and find i was unfortunately right. all i need to do is buy a new computer, change over to a different browser to log in with, and what exactly was i gaining from the switch over. security, no spam, emails from unknown senders, that stuff never bothered me before and it still seems to show up and it still doesnt bother me. im just glad it isnt one of those newer box forums, i really dont like those, i would rather use the last 25 post function over that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    I agree.

Well not necessarily the "old" forum per say but at least one that works.

I am all for "change" but normally change for the better.

I keep checking back and hoping...
  • BGE Pit Crew
    Options
    I agree with Ray! I guess I am a little, no, ok alot old school. I just like to fire up my computer, go to my favorites (BGE) and start to read (what I want to read) and go on with my day. I know there were alot of disruptive people out there, but I never gave it any mind. What I realy like is simple, look at peoples food photo's, get there awsome recipes, ask them some technical questions, and go on my way. I love the BGE and everything they stand for, but this forum thing is getting a little stale. I am not a computer savey person, so maybe I am missing the boat here. All I know are; buy the food, load the lump, EGG the food, eat the food, enjoy the eggspierence and go on with your day.
  • What I saw was one a-hole used as an excuse to switch over. I'm going back. Anyone wants me check in there.

Dr. BBQ
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    CW,

My opinions/thoughts matter nothing at all, I've known that for some time.

I have wondered why some of the names haven't been posting as much. Although, I haven't been on the forum for a full year so I wondered if it was winter. The seasons for me are very hot and very cold so winter is a factor with activities. In the southern part of the country Winter still affords our late Spring, Summer and early Fall activities. However, I also thought/wondered most if not all of the 'old core group' know WMK and if it was the forum software they would email or phone WMK and discuss that fact.

It seems to me there have been a few (not many) 'old core group' folks seem to be more active here than during the last quarter on the old forum.

As far as spam, I got very little spam from the old forum and none here. I know how to deal with spam that if necessary so that isn’t an issue for me.

I agree the most important accessory for the egg is the forum.

GG
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Everybody opinions matter (well maybe not stike's :woohoo: ), but it's not opinions that I address. If this forum is causing the 'old guard' to retreat to parts unknown then this new forum is useless.
  • I'm with the doctor. This new forum is just too hard to visit. It's too slow and the only website I've ever visited where the back button doesn't work 50% of the time. I'm just a lurker, so no one will miss me, but its a shame. I used to enjoy coming here, now its just a hassle so I probably only look at this site 10% of what I used to.

Oh well, I hope everyone winds up with good eats from their Eggs in the future.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    I've stayed out of Forum "discussions" until now. When we changed over to the new format, I initially wasn't too thrilled. However, trying to prove my wife wrong by being open minded, I stuck with it until it really didn't bother me much.

After waking from my lunchtime nap, I saw Ray's post, and thought I'd try a little test. I hadn't been back on the old forum in weeks, so I thought I'd visit and see what I thought. I just poked around through a few posts comparing the old and the new. Well, I must say, the "old" felt like putting on your favorite old jeans or tennis shoes. It just felt "right"....it was comfortable. I was really surprised at how much easier the threads seem to flow.

I certainly applaude what the moderators have done and the time that they have invested in trying to improve the Forum (I know it must have been considerable). I also know that you're never going to please everybody. However, I still like the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mantra. I really didn't know why there was so much less posting by the old guard, but maybe this actually does have something to do with it.

I'll still be hanging around, regardless.

Mike
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Sorry Fishlessman..

I didn't intend to post as a followup to you. I just couldn't figure out where I was in the thread until I replied and it posted.

Best to you.

Mike
  • 1/2 Chicken
    Options
    dhuffjr wrote:

move to a completely modern format such as vBulletin.

Personally I think that old format is terrible and outdated. This one’s not much better but at least you can read a thread like this one and not need to go back and click on every response… it flows more like a conversation imo.

vBulletin is a great format but I think those accustom to the old format would hate it as well. Seems to be a lose lose.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I have no idea but is this 'retreat' possibly due to the season?

Personally I liked the old forum better. Simply for navagation. WMK said some time ago they would work the this issue.

For now it is a bit klunky but I open a second window and read the posts in clasic view. when done I close the 2nd window/tab and back to where I was in reading the forum. Not the best but for now it sort of works.

Being able to log on automatically is a huge problem. I havn't followed most of those posts, of the ones I have followed it seemed it was the new person not being able to locate the response email, either lost in their junk mail or somehow being filtered out.

WMK did say the greeneggers.net was used to send a lot of spam and was blocked by several other huge ISP's. Possibley those 'blocks' have not been cleared out.

The last I have noticed over here is folks using AOL. It is not reasonable for them to have to change in order to get smooth use of this forum.

There are a lot of issues.

What ever path the forum takes I hope the loss is minimal.

GG
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I know nothing about computers, servers,etc,,etc,,. As mainly a lurker for 2 years on the old forum I'm not that familiar with the differences but do miss the posts and the advice of the old guard. After the initial problems with registration everything seems to run fine for me.(I use a Mac & am on roadrunner does that make a difference?). I don't visit other forums so have nothing to compare or relate to. What others dislike I don't seem to have a problem with but don't know if I'm just lucky or don't know any better.
  • I have to sign in every time, then I have to click to the forum from some misc page, then I have to click wide view every time, then I have to remember to open a new window every time I read a post or I end up back at the top and a few other things I'm not remembering.

No, I'm not an AOL user.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    thats ok, i wasnt responding to swibirun either, same thing happened here. been happening alot lately
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Guess I just dont have anything to compare to as I dont really get involved in other forums but I do really miss the input of the old guard. I'm hooked on this forum like my wife was to soaps, but would like to see the one's that got me hooked return.
    Thanks
    Pat