Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ash Shoot (w/photo link)

Options
ColoradoCook
ColoradoCook Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I received several e-mails that the photo link I supplied earlier this week did not work. I had fashioned a shoot out of some sheet metal. The ash slides down the shoot, through a hole in my table, and into a bucket hanging from a hook. I thought some of you might appreciate that idea.[p]http://photomail.photoworks.com/sharing/album.asp?Key=8659450885450205[p]CC

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    ColoradoCook,
    One of the untold stories about owning a Big Green Egg is all the creative ideas that pop up from time to time. I think just about everyone comes up with something mechanical that makes their Egging experience easier and more fun. Those same people are likely to experiment with new cooking techniques as well. The nice thing about these folks is that they share their experiences. Thanks for sharing yours.[p]Spring Chicken

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    ColoradoCook,[p]The link doesn't work as as link, but it works if you copy it and paste it on the address bar of the browser. Good enough![p]Does the chute fit inside the bottom vent? How do you scrape the ashes into it? Could you post a picture of the chute by itself, rather than installed? [p]The reason I ask is that the lower lip of the bottom vent is about an inch or so above the floor of the Egg, so I always have a little trouble getting some of the ash up over the lip and through the vent.[p]Thanks for the invention!
  • ColoradoCook
    Options
    Prof Dan,[p]Good idea, I'll snap a shot of it and get it online on Monday. [p]Essentially the shoot was a piece of metal that was seven or eight inches long, I bent a section of it at an angle to meet the vent opening. From there I started using my clippers to carve it a bit so it butted up to the curved egg perfectly. Bending up each sides of the shoot created wings/sides to guide the ash down the shoot. What holds it in place was the remaining 4 or 5 inches of metal that slipped nicely under the egg to hold it in place, think of a metal book end you find at the library.[p]Using it is simple, pull the ash out and it slides down the shoot, through the hole in my table and into the bucket. Works great, no mess.[p]CC
  • ColoradoCook, your ash chute link worked for me. BTW, did you find anyone to share a pallet of Chigger Creek lump?

• ColoradoCook
    Options
    George,[p]Yes, there's five of us going in on a pallet. In fact, it arrives at my house tomorrow morning.[p]CC