Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt smoke

Options
Hooter
Hooter Posts: 134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a 6.5 lb. butt on the egg today. Internal temp. is at 120. Same problem as last time, got good smoke from hickory chunks at first but no smoke now. Is it normal for the smoke to die down after the fire has been going for a while? If not, any suggestions for bringing it back up?

Comments

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Hooter,[p]Not sure what size chunks you guys use, but you will only need smoke for the first couple of hours. How long did you see smoke coming out the EGG? [p]The smokering will be formed in the first couple of hours and will have been completed by time the meat reaches 140º. That does NOT mean that smoke cannot still be applied to the outside of the meat....this is a very common mis-understanding.[p]Also, once the "heavy" smoke subsides, the wood may still be smoldering but the smoke output is much lighter and can be unnoticeable. Matter of fact, that is what a nice clean burn looks like....no visible smoke, just the occasional "blue wisp".[p]Stogie
  • Hooter
    Hooter Posts: 134
    Options
    Stogie,[p]Thanks. There was decent smoke for about 2 hours. The chunks I used averaged about 2 inches in diameter. As I posted that message I opened up the bottom slider completely and closed the top and it's maintaining 250 degrees and has some smoke.