Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2:51 AM Forum Check

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Earlier in the day, my sensory neurons detected a dangerous situation was developing in the periphery digits of my left hand as I was removing bits of wood fiber from a small section of a former tree.

By the time the signals reached my central nervous system and activated my motor neurons I was applying a new color to the shop floor at the rate of approximately 32 drops per Earth-second.

This situation definitely called for an appropriate and spontaneous audible from yours truly. As I was running through my built-in thesaurus to see which word would be most effective I felt the first wave of pain and decided to use pretty much all of the words, including some that are socially unacceptable in crowds of more than one person.

I then activated the emergency response system by applying four sheets of Bounty paper towels directly to the obviously damaged area(s) in order to retain as much red fluid as possible inside the bounds of my body.

I then drove myself to the emergency room of the same hospital that I recently obtained my fourth epidural steroid injection for my Mad Max Disease.

I was immediately moved to the front of a rather long line of other carbon units, probably because I appeared to be a paying customer. Or perhaps it was because I advised them that I was taking blood thinners and they probably didn't want their new tan floor to be red. Only 17 minutes had lapsed to this point

After a series of initial treatments, mostly cleaning and assessing the damage, I was led to a sound-proof looking room and told that someone would arrive shortly to repair me. She did and as she began to ready the instruments of torture she said, "This may hurt a bit," and promptly stuck a needle in my digits 24 times to load me up with a deadening agent. That process brought tears to my eyes 24 times and I understood the need for soundproofing. But since I had already used up my allotted pain-words I was reduced to internal vocalization.

I cringed when she brought out a curved needle but by that time the deadening agent took effect and I just sat there as she installed 29 stitches.

Another nurse arrived to finish up and arrange for X-rays, X-rays!!! Yep! Turns out that the damage wasn't limited to meat, I also had two broken bones. That table saw sure did a number on me.

Spring Hen had arrived early enough to see the actual damage, I was not a pretty sight. Thank goodness she was there, because she was able to count ten fingers. Then she drove me home and put me in the charging station/recovery device.

Meanwhile, I had to carry out my assigned duties as usual so I checked the plumbing, the refrigerator light and perimeter security, Rodney Dangerbird said not to worry, all was well. Haaa! Little does he know.

I also checked the Forum and found 3 Members and 391 Guests up and about.

The pain pills are now taking full effect so I'm returning to the charging station before I break something else,

Say goodnight Leroy.

Spring "Took A Licking And Kept On Ticking" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Man that tough luck. Your in for some painful days ahead. Thank god for pain pills. Hope you get beeter soon. Does this mean a delay in delivery? HEHE, just kidding. Good luck, Tom
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    It's late and I can't spell or use proper grammer. I may be adding fuel to the fire so I will just shut up. Good night Leroy and all other late nighters out there in Eggland. Tom
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    I would say that was GREAT luck...

Still has all fingers, etc.

I forecast a much more careful Leroy in the future..

Spacey
  • mtn egger
    Options
    I hate to hear about your fingers. My brother did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. He did it on the first peice of wood he cut on his brand new $2400 table saw. He just got the tip and had about 10 stiches. It looks like your still able to type a nice forum check so maybe you will be able to keep your morning job. I hope you do well, stay close to the pain pills for a couple of days.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    OUCH, OUCH, OUCH!!! Hubby ran his over his joiner the first of Dec. took out the bone and nail in the end of his left middle finger. ouch, ouch ouch!! keep it raised above the heart and it will help alot. he looked like he was giving everyone the finger for a week. No stitches on his there was nothing to stitch. it has healed nicely and is just rolled with a fat little tip. it is only as long as the two fingers on either side of it now. those power tools are fast. he really did not have much pain and only used about 6 of the pain pills they gave him. I have been telling him for 30 years he can be pretty numb! :blush: ! Hope it heals fast and you are ok. lots of good egged food helped his heal. hubby just cringed when I told him what happened. take care! Julie
    P.S. You should have seen us try to hasten his jeans :whistle: diet came up a number of times!
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    Ouch.....sending prayers and get well wishes your way!
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Rascal
  • Rusty Rooster
    Options
    Sorry to hear that LeRoy. Hope you are completely "back in one piece" soon and not held together with a stich and a prayer.
    Tom
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Hey SC,

Glad that you still have all your parts. Hope that you get well soon, man.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    DAMMIT LEROY!! I am going to have a talk with Lawn Ranger about his employee education program. It is obviously lacking in the Power Tool Safety Area. Glad you still have all your digits.

While you were doing all that I was recovering from moving at a high rate of speed in the carbon unit transport device toward a rendezvous with the Mothership..

The Wolf Den now has six eggs. Four of which will be mounting in the portable wolf den. Had a nice chat with Bobby and Brenda. Always good to see the Grand Lady of the BGE.

Be safe my Friend and see you in Florida.
  • Eggscaper
    Options
    :( sorry to hear about the digits.You might have to talk to Rondey Dangerbird about taking over on some of your duties.

may the healing be fast and painless
    Doug
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    Leroy, glad it wasn’t any worse. If you are supposed to keep ice on it for a while, I recommend applying it indirect using your famous rum and coke glass.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • AuntieEgger
    Options
    Leroy, Leroy, Leroy…………..
    Did no one ever tell you not to play with the saw when there was a full moon? :blink: Never go near anything that can slice you up when the full moon is a shinning ,,, especially when your on blood thinners!!! :ohmy:
    Well now you know and you will never do that again.

My hubby had a mishap a couple years ago with the saw. He went out to the garage to cut a piece of wood and their was a cat in there that he didn’t know about and when he turned the saw on to cut the wood the cat freaked out and hubby cut the very tip of his finger off. :S He had a few choice words for that cat that he blurted out so loud the whole neighborhood could hear him and I’m sure that cat had a few choice words for him as well as it ran away. :pinch: Of course I said ‘what the heck are you thinking scarring that poor cat like that’ :evil: but I patched him up and he was good as new. Now he checks the garage for any critters before he turns the saw on. B) Now hubby wants to implement a leash law for cats ,, so be it when safety is an issue!! But the poor cat was only in the garage on mouse patrol. :P

You are on the mend ,, relax take it easy let healing take affect.

AuntieEgger
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Hey, Buddy! I sure hope that you're OK. Man, that stuff is dangerous. :evil: Don't be telling me that it was LawnRanger related, because if it was I don't live here anymore. :(

I'll be checking on you.

Mike
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    youch, that made various things tighten up.

Glad you didn't lose your sense of humor, heal quick an don do dat agen.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    So sorry, Leroy. I've sent you an email.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JCinNV
    JCinNV Posts: 141
    Options
    Leroy, you are a (Springchicken), last i heard they were a allergic to PAIN especialy there own, so becareful, Now I will have several rum and cokes for you, so you don't mix BOOOOOOZE with meds, j.c. :lol: