Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Salmon walked the plank!

Char-Woody
Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today in two hours I think I made some classic salmon. At least it looked great, tasted great, and was nice and flakey. Check the recipe archives for "Bill Millers" salmon recipe.[p]I used basically the same recipe, but added a light sprinkling of Chef Paul Purdhommes fish rub prior to the Italian dressing.[p]I used a Chinook Alder plank over a 4 brick platform, 2 end to end thru the center of teh BGE and two on the sides of this in the exact center giving a + cross formation. All sides were equal and left 4 nice smoke ports in the corner's. I lined the external part of the plank with a wide aluminum 18" x 18" piece folded once to a 9 x 18 inch piece. Place the Chinook plank in the center and fold the edges up around the plank forming a aluminum dish to protect the wood.[p]I started my fire by completely removing all the used charcoal, (and rocks that I find with reqularity) and replacing with new charcoal. I have a theoretical reason for this. I may do it more often. I placed fresh charcoal on the grate, lit it and when it was established I added all the old charcoal on top..then added my dampened red alder smoking chips heaviest to the center and more around the edges. Boy did I have smoke..!! Added the prepared salmon and plank when the temperature reached 125F or so and let the smoke penetrate as the temperature rose to 225. Held this for 1.5 hours then raised the temp to 300F for another half hour to 45 minutes.
The cook took 2 hours this way, and can be done quicker..Next time I will go for around 275 for the full cook and shorten the time.
My Chinook Plank survived with its first small bit of darkening to one end. I did fully rub down the plank with olive oil all over all sides and ends prior to the cook and will do so again while its idle.
The taste was terrific, and the neighbor friends sampled and said it was the best they ever had..:-) I wonder..I gotta do better next time.
Cheers..C~W

Comments

• Eponda
    Eponda Posts: 21
    Char-Woody,One way to do better would be to brine the salmon first. I use a brine of 2 quarts of water, 1 half cup each of salt and brown sugar. Soak in brine in refrig for an hour to an hour an a half. Rinse and let dry at room temp until a light crust forms, them brush with oil or dressing and add a rub, if you want. I find that 90 minutes or so at 225 is plenty of time and results in very moist product. A little alder goes a long way. I use only three chunks, golf ball size, for the cook. I use a grid on top of a drip pan on top of a single layer of fire brick for my set up

• Char-Woody
    Eponda, Thanks!!!!!
    Thats what I am looking for..that hint of salt in the salmon...yaaaahoooo...Your set up is fine too.
    Next time I will do that along with the plank, guaranteed!!
    Cheers...C~W[p]

• Char-Woody, you mainlanders,, I swear! OUR fish live in brine from the time they are little tykes, until I snatch their ugly faces into THIS world. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Just a little brine humor. I'm brining two Sylvest Super Chickens for tomorrow. I made sure they were below the legal drinking age this time. Holy-Smoke. It's the weekend again.. YYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAA!

• Char-Woody
    King-O-Coals, It's about time ya got revenge on those wheel chocks ya made a month ago..:-)[p]I had assorted chicken parts on the grill last night. Got distracted with all ports open and returned to a fireball..Whooooo. Shut down all ports till the fire died down and then cracked em open for another 5 minutes..Boy was that great chicken under the black crust..Still juicy and tasty. Nothing defeats the BGE for a failure..! Except the old stale buzzards you islanders insist are chickens..
    :-)
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Char-Woody, I was discussing brining with my greek co-worker today and told him of the old gals I tried to brine and cook.. He roared. He suggested that us foul-mouthed eggers try the capons that WalMart sells. He said they are fabulous. Big as a baking hen, but more tender than a young fryer. I guess if I don't think about them,,, maybe I could eat one.. I have a funny feeling about eating a rooster that never liked hens. heehee! But I'm going to try them.

• Char-Woody
    King-O-Coals, Lemme tell ya..them fat little Capone's are good eating. They haven't been keeping long hours like their competition buddies..:-) Just ask Dr. Chicken when he gets back, and I understand he is priming his gatling gun with rock salt for some Islanders.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Char-Woody, oh,, so he's a capon! I was wondering eggsactly what was wrong with him. Heeehee! I guess I'd better wear him out while he can't get even..
  • Char-Woody
    K.O.C., Yah...instead of a confused bird..he be a defused one.:-)

• Peddler
    Peddler Posts: 37
    Char-Woody,[p]Try out Mary's recipe. It's terrific. I cook the salmon at about 325-350 for 45 minutes to 1 hour. It has a great outside color and inside is...my mouth is watering just thinking about it...tender, juicy and flavorful. Sometimes a add a few soaked alder chips to the coals. I'm still cooking on the alder wood board I burned the first time out. Each time I use it a little more of the charred pieces break off. I'll have to order up another one pretty soon.

• Peddler
    Peddler Posts: 37
    Char-Woody,[p]Try out Mary's recipe. It's terrific. I cook the salmon at about 325-350 for 45 minutes to 1 hour. It has a great outside color and inside is...my mouth is watering just thinking about it...tender, juicy and flavorful. Sometimes a add a few soaked alder chips to the coals. I'm still cooking on the alder wood board I burned the first time out. Each time I use it a little more of the charred pieces break off. I'll have to order up another one pretty soon.