Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven Cobbler

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just bought my first Egg and am looking forward to finishing off the first cookout with cobbler. Probably a stupid question but... Do you use the lid on the Dutch Oven when cooking in the Egg?

Comments

• Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    If you are cooking something savory, like chili, that you wan't to give a smokey flavor to, you leave the lid off. With a cobbler, I would use the lid.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Gale,
    check the link below for the new forum. Most of the members are already over there.

[ul][li]New Forum[/ul]
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Gale,

If you are cooking a DO dish that you think requires a lid full time I wouldn't use the egg (other than if it is just easier to use). I would use a volcano or the oven or even burried in the ground.

In a covered DO your flavor is going to come from the well seasoned cast ion and your foods and an even heat source.

The egg can be used as a heat source and a very good one at that. On the other hand using a DO w/o lid in an egg brings a whole new taste experiencece.

There are a lot of people cooking bread, pies, pizza and other pastry dishes that rave of the goodness inside an egg.

Let us all know how this turns out. The though of peach cobler has my taste buds working full time.

GG
  • Rusty Rooster
    Options
    Gale,
    I have done quite a few cobblers on eggs. As long as you let your smoke clear first, the cobbler will not take on much smoke flavor without a lid. Biggest difference is they do not brown as much if you are cooking in a egg. The heat is closer when you use a lid & put the coals direct on the lid camp style.
    As has already been said, come over to the new forum and join us, welcome aboard.
    Tom