Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pepper Substitute- Atomic Buffalo Turds

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I LOVE Atomic Buffalo Turds, but the Jalapenos are too hot for my wife. What peppers are similar in size, but more mild? Thanks!!

Comments

• Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    Pablano peppers might be a good sub.
  • KC
    KC Posts: 91
    Options
    I've done them with banana peppers for those who couldn't take the heat of jalpenos and everybody seemd to like them. They were very mild.
  • EggEd
    EggEd Posts: 88
    Options
    I am a rookie when it comes to ABT's (5-6 cooks) but it may be possible that you are not cleaning out the insides and seeds of the jalapenos enough. The archives and www.wessb.com have pictures.

I cut the jalapenos in half, and use a spoon to scoop / scrape the seeds AND the whiteish veins that the are attached to the seeds. That makes a big difference IMHO.
  • JCinGA
    JCinGA Posts: 139
    Options
    I have done my ABT's as EggEd described. There is one more thing that has to be done. Remove the stem or warn the wife not to bite the stem end first.
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Check with the produce manager at your supermarket. One of the specialty produce suppliers (Frieda, or some company like that) markets mild peppers in various colors, the size and shape of jalapenos. Around here they're sold by the clamshell pint.

You could also try sweet cherry peppers.

HTH
    Ken
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Jim T.,
    Did you scrape all the seeds and veins out of the insides? There's a little heat left in some of them after a thorough job of doing that, but usually it's not too bad. I don't know of any with a similar taste that arn't hot. Also, cooking them remvoves some heat as well. Maybe a little longer on the egg would lighten them up a bit too.[p]Good luck.

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 148
    Options
    Jim T.,
    After cleaning out the peppers, soak them in ice water.
    The longer they soak the more mild the pepper.
    For the ladies I usually let them soak for about 12 hrs.
    They will taste like bell pepers. No heat what so ever.