Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Dutch Oven What do I cook?

vidalia1
vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought two new ready to use (pre seasoned) cast iron Dutch ovens this weekend. A 7 qt Lodge & 5 qt Martha Stewart brand. So now what do I cook first? Any suggestions and recipes would be appreciated.

I am thinking about chili or beef stew in the 7 qt Lodge & bread in the 5 qt Martha...

are there any good beef stew recipes out there?

Thanks for any tips or advice

Kim Youngblood
(aka vidalia1)
Lawrenceville, GA

Comments

• BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    I liked this recipe except I'll brown the pearl onions a bit next time.

Autumn Cranberry Beef Stew

Ingredients
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 (3-pound) boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 2-inch cubes
    Cooking spray
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
    2 bay leaves
    1 (12-ounce) Guinness Stout
    1 (10-ounce) package frozen pearl onions, thawed
    1 (8-ounce) package button mushrooms, quartered
    1/4 cup water
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
    8 cups cooked egg noodles (about 1 pound)
    Chopped fresh thyme (optional)

Preparation
    Combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl; sprinkle over beef. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add beef to pan; cook 6 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Add chopped onion, broth, bay leaves, and stout; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours or until beef is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in pearl onions and mushrooms; cook, covered, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Combine 1/4 cup water and flour in a small bowl. Add flour mixture and cranberry sauce to pan. Cook 5 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Serve with noodles. Garnish with fresh thyme, if desired.

Yield
    10 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup stew and 3/4 cup noodles)

Nutritional Information
    CALORIES 479(27% from fat); FAT 14.6g (sat 4.8g,mono 6.3g,poly 1.1g); PROTEIN 39.5g; CHOLESTEROL 138mg; CALCIUM 35mg; SODIUM 239mg; FIBER 2.6g; IRON 6.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 43.7g

Christina Wilson, Lansdowne, Pennsylvania , Cooking Light, OCTOBER 2007
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is my idea. Egret is back in the country so stand by for his.

Chili, Beef, Beans, Richard Fl

This recipe is a blend of different ones, from KennyG, Egret, Blue Smoke and The Skyline Chili Chain Miami, '70's and my own ideas.. Thanks to all.

INGREDIENTS:
    First Cook:
    3 1/4 Lbs Chuck, Ground Twice Course
    2 Lbs House Brand (Publix) Mild Sausage
    3/4 Lb Bacon, Thick Cut, Hormel, Black Label, Diced
    Second Cook:
    5 Cups Onions, White/Red, Chopped
    2 Cups Bell Peppers, Yellow, Chopped
    3 Tbs Garlic, Fresh Crushed
    Add Rest:
    2 1 3/8 Ozs Pkg Old El Paso Chili Seasoning
    1 12 Ozs Can La Costeña Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce, Pureed
    9 Cups Fresh, Tomatoes, Pureed
    1 28 Ozs Can Diced Tomatoes
    1 14 1/2 Ozs Can Diced Tomatoes
    1 10 Ozs Can Rotel, Hot
    2 4 1/2 Ozs Can Old El Paso Chopped Green Chili
    2 Tbs Indian River Pepper Blend
    2 Tbs Indian River Seasoning Salt
    1 Bunch Cilantro, Chopped
    2 Tbs Cocoa Powder, Hot, Godiva
    2 Tbs Cumin, Ground
    2 15 1/2 Ozs Can Red Kidney Beans, Habichuelas Colorado
    2 15 1/2 Ozs Can Pink Kidney Beans, Habichuelas Rosada
    1 Stick Butter
    2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 Cup Red Wine, Cabernet Sauvignon
    Use Broth if dry:
    2 14 Ozs Can Beef Broth, Swanson
    Smoke:
    Applewood Chunks & Hickory Chips
    Equiptment:
    9 Quart Dutch Oven

Procedure:
    1 Because of a time constraint the meat, and everything was done on the stove. After everything was in the DO and boiling, I placed in BGE.
    2 Take a 9 quart dutch oven and cook the beef, sausage and bacon in the pot stirring every 5-10 minutes, covered, about 25 minutes. When done, remove and drain.
    3 Take the onions, bell peppers and garlic and sauté until translucent.
    4 Add the tomatoes and remaining ingredients except beans and beef broth, and bring to a boil. Add the meat back into the pot and stir. Add the spices and stir until blended. Now add the beans, drained.
    5 The Large BGE had been set with a tjv spider, high position, direct and the temperature was 350°F. for the first hour. Then dropped to 275°F for the last 3 hours, It is still cooking 4 hours later. Maybe I will shut down the BGE after 6-7 hours and leave the dutch oven over night. Sounds like a plan! Had some applewood pieces and hickory chips for flavor.
    6 Been cooking for 4 hours and still going. Added the beef broth and liquid from the beans toward the end as I needed to keep the chili moist.
    7 After 6 1/2 hours on the BGE, I added a second can of beef broth, left the Dutch Oven on the BGE and shut the entire system down. Went to the SPA and decided I will deal with this situation in the AM. Good Night Richard. Just got up and checked the pot, still warm and the BEST chili I have made in 40+ years.
    8 Am serving with raspberry cornbread muffins.

Yield: 9 Quarts
    Preparation time: 1 hour
    Cooking time: 4 hours

Recipe Type
    Beef, Dutch Oven, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2008/01/18

Had a few stray tamales from a cuban restaurant the other day, so I tossed them in to add flavor and thickness with the masa.
  • The options are unlimited. Two of my favorite are:

Poat Roast a very versital cook which will give a very tender (spoon cutable) roast and leftovers make wonderful sandwitch..

Beef Stew a very easy and wonderful tasting stew.

This is great

Beef Stew
    3# chuck roast – cut to 1 ½ inch cubes (or use stew meat, but the cuts won’t brown even due to the odd shaped pieces)
    3 T vegetable (or EEOV) oil
    3 Med garlic cloves minced or pressed
    3 T Flour unbleached
    2 Cups low sodium chicken broth (possibly 3 cups depending on the consistency of stew you want)
    2 Med Onions course chop (apx 2 cups)
    2 Bay leaves
    1 tsp thyme
    4 medium red potatoes (apx 1 ½#) peel cut into apx 1” cubes
    1# carrots apx 4 large carrots
    1 cup frozen peas
    ½ cup minced fresh parsley leaves ( I usually use dry parsley 2T or to taste)
    At times I also put in carrots and once in a while celery – celery will change taste quickly.
    On the egg… with cast dutch oven – my large egg at 300° at grid (low simmer temp/very light boil)
    S&P chuck roast. Oven in egg on grid direct cook and oven at temp put in 1T of oil. Place meat cubes in bottom of oven close but not touching. Apx 2 minutes until brown – do not move or stir. Turn cubes and cook for 3 to 5 more min until well browned. Remove cubes and place in bowl. Add 1T more oil and place rest of meat in oven and repeat previous steps. Remove and place in bowl.
    Add 1T oil to emptied D. oven, swirl to coat bottom of oven. Add Onions and ¼ tsp salt. Stir frequently & hard with wooden spoon to loosen up the brown bits on the bottom of the oven. Continue until onions are soften apx 4 to 5 minutes.
    Add garlic, stir for 30 seconds. Stir in the floour and cook until lightly colored – 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly add 1 cup of broth stirring on bottom and side of oven to get the remaining brown bits off of the d. oven. Keep stirring until mix has thickened up.
    Slowly add remaining broth while stirring. Add bay leaves and thyme and bring to simmer.
    You need to work quickly as you don’t want the egg to super heat.
    Add meat and return to simmer. Cook for about 1 hour at 300° grid (this will be apx 330 if egg was stabilized – 360° dome if egg not stabilized). If egg not stabilized you will need to reduce dome as the all the ceramics get up to temp. The stew needs to be at a simmer.
    After this first hour add potatoes & carrots cook about another hour until meat is tender.
    Do a final adjustment of seasoning and check for consistency (dry or wet)
    S&P to taste – add peas and parsley and toss the bay leaves.
    Optional notes.
    I usually put the dutch oven directly on the coals to brown the meat then move up to grid after to finish.
    If you like cooking with wine substitute the first cup of broth for a good red wine.
    Cutting your own cutting of the chuck roast, rather than stew meat, will result in even browning and cooking of the meat and a better taste.
    Chicken broth will give a better taste than beef broth, the look of the stew will be a lighter color. Beef broth will result in a dark color.
    Option as suggested by Rusty Rooster – top with biscuits and finish the cook.

Good eggin & eatin

GG
  • oops here is the picture

stew.jpg

this is using the 1/2 beef and 1/2 chicken stock which gives a better flavor. If one wants a darker color liquid then use all beef stock.

GG
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    You guys are making me DROOL!!!!!!! :laugh:

I can't wait to cook some stuff this weekend..........

Kim Youngblood
    (aka vidalia1)
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • I did the Egret chili my first go around… it was outstanding. Not sure you’ll go wrong with any of these posted.

Best thing about a Dutch oven is it gives you yet another reason to cook outside.
    :whistle:
  • EdF
    EdF Posts: 121
    Clay's Pulled Beef.

In the recipes area. No failure possible.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Wow, that sounds good but I don't think I would want all thase Tomatos in my cast iron DO. I don't know about the pre seasoned ones but it would a job on mine. I will have to try it in something else.
  • Richard Fl
    I have been doing tomatoe based sauces in Cast iron for many years. I do not store in them nor do I use Older Aluminum for cooking and storing tomato based sauces. Not sure if the jury is ever back on this subject. Still healthy at 63.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    I was more worried about the health of my dutch oven than mine. I would think acidity of tomatos would take off all the seasoning.
  • Richard Fl
    Perhaps it does and I am so used to the NEW seasoning I never noticed.