Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting readty to purchase--any advice?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are about to get our first BGE--can't wait--any advice? Thanks-Shelby

Comments

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    shelbygirl,[p]Get the biggest one you can afford, and be sure to check for responses at the link below--it's the "new" BGE forum. You posted this on the old forum. Some items to consider:[p]1. Plate setter
    2. Ash tool
    3. Instant read thermometer (Polder makes a nice one for about $20)
    4. Grid extender (if you're getting a MBGE/LBGE)
    5. Good lump charcoal[p]There will other things you can get along the way, but these should get you started quite nicely.

[ul][li]http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=108&func=showcat&catid=1[/ul]
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Read as many posts as you can, especially those concerning how to control the fire inside your egg. I've had a large for 3 months and am very happy with it. Ask lots of questions and enjoy!

Rascal
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    a large and a thermopen. toys depend on what you want to cook. pizza bbq whatever. learn temp control and meat temps for your liking first. start saving for your second egg :laugh:
  • Beanie-Bean, Thanks--that is just what I needed to know!

• Chef in the Making
    Options
    We just bought our first Egg last week. It was a large and is just about the right size for me and my wife. I do not think it is sufficient for large parties. I was able to get one rack of ribs and my six quart dutch oven on it but no more. I quess my point is the bigger the better.

I was concerned about the weight at first but once I got the Egg into its nest it moved very easily on my deck. I would assume the XL would have too even though it is considerably heavier.

Enjoy and welcome to the Forum
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Shelbygirl, the excitement you are experiencing now will fade in comparison to the first cook on your new EGG. I could not hardly sleep last night from thinking about what to cook tonight. No kidding, and it wasn't because of indigestion from the delicious pork tenderloin last night which by the way was my very first cook on my very first EGG.

I also stayed up fairly late on this forum chating and learning.

One word of advice, if you decide to bring it home yourself instead of having it delivered, get some help. Mine made it's way to the garage floor while trying to get it up one step.

Hope you enjoy...
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Get the largest egg you can realisictally afford. You will not be disappointed

Gene
  • hawkegg
    Options
    I would rather have a large and a small/medium than an XL. Sure the surface area would be great at times but I find myself wishing I could cook at 2 different temps more than I wish I had more cooking area. I have a large now and want a small. I figure if I want to cook more I can fire both of them up. Not only that when just my wife and I eat it would be nice to use the small. You use less lump. I think the XL in my case would be to wasteful. I think a large/small combo is in the same price neighborhood as the XL. Just my 2 cents. Also get a grille light you will find yourself in the winter when it get dark quick wishing you had one.
  • bbqmyway
    Options
    Have Been Eggin' for two years now and the only advice isn't about the purchase its self but check our the Naked Whiz site as it has been a great source of information for me. Also check out Playing with smoke and fire site. Always check this Forum for advice. Check daily.
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    Options
    Welcome to the cult. We will be serving grape kool aide tonite :woohoo:
  • Definitely the large....plate setter should be your first extra and an instant thermometer would help too in getting you started....each time you cook on it will feel like kissing the frog & getting the prince out of your food. Enjoy
  • Scubadog
    Scubadog Posts: 100
    Options
    I'm a new XL owner and lov'n it. It'll do almost everything that any of the smaller Eggs will do and more. Stuff like 10 Costco Ribeyes or a two twenty LB Turkeys. The one thing the XL won't do is use less lump, so if a couple dollars here and there is a big deal, that should be considered. There's a few minor issues on the XL indirect set-up that could easily be solved by BGE making the fire ring slightly shorter and the legs on the platesetter slightly taller. I also think the advice regarding the added versitility of owning two eggs is certainly worth considering.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Get a good pair of heat resistant gloves, Ov Glove, welders gloves, silicone, and get into the habit of burping it, particularly with new lump and at high temps.
  • Welcome & Enjoy!!

I think you would be very wise to visit www.nakedwhiz.com and read each and every page of this gentleman's site....It has just about everything you'd ever want to know about the BGE....and it will answer questions...before you have them!!

The BGE is an awesome device..but it takes effort on your part..Do some homework...read nakedwhiz.com...or WessB's site...or Dizzy Pig's site...Know the answers before you ask them!!

Best of luck..Some great cooks on this site!..

Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    Was in the same boat a few weeks ago, ending up getting two larges which only cost a couple of hundred dollars more than the XL. Was swayed by the great members in the forum who brought up the thing about cooking different things at different temps.

If you decide on a insta read temp device, call thermoworks and ask if they have any refurbished ones. They are half the cost of a new one and come with a 6 month warranty.
  • Eggscaper
    Options
    Also need to join a gym. You will be eating alot more now because it will taste sooooooooo gooooooooood.

Happy Eggin
    Doug