Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Replacement help

JCinGA
JCinGA Posts: 139
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just replaced my old felt gasket with the new nomex type. The nomex seems to be a bit thinner than the old felt type. I'm having trouble getting it pass the $ bill test. Some places has a lot of drag and others just a little drag. I went back to the basics of loosening both bands and the hinge and retightening them in the order shown in the DVD and it didn't get any better. Do I need to leave it alone or does someone have any ideas that may help?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    did you snug the lower band downward as far as possible and the upper band as high as possible (until they stopped against the thicker ridge), before tightening the bands again?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • There's a video on our web site that shows how we "seat" one on a new egg...that might help you. I think it's on Assembly video # 3. If you need url, email me off list.
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • JCinGA
    Stike,
    I did. Half of it will seat and the other half won't. I've tightened the lower band as you suggested. I did the upper band as you suggested. I took a piece of wood and hammer and tapped it all the way around on the upper. Still the same problem.
  • JCinGA
    That's where I went first.
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    JC,
    The NOMEX gasket is not thinner than the felt gasket. It is the same width. The "pile" on the NOMEX appears thicker and is, but it will reduce it's height once it is cooked on, and the dome is on it for a period of time, and any extra width of the seal on the outside of the egg will retract somewhat.
    Just curious; explain the steps you took in replacing the gasket. There in might lies the answer.
    Regards,
    Hammer
  • Do you have any way of strapping the base to the dome? I have used a ratchet strap on mine with some success. Others have used some long wood working clamps. Clamps would be placed on the sides of the egg with a 2X4 across the top and the bottom.

First loosen every bolt holding the hinges. Install clamps/strap then tighten bolts following instructions.

If the clearance problem is with one side versus the other then you might be able to loosen the band clamp and advance it around the egg slightly. This might help center the hinges and relieve the pressure holding one side up.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    You Egg is doomed... It's kaput! as ve zay een Djer-man-ee.

"Fried," as we say in the food biz.

You must send it to me immediately, claim it as a "gift to charity" on your income tax. Then go buy another one from a reputable dealer, who will assemble it for you.

We are all profoundly sorry for you loss.

:kiss:

~ Broc

:whistle:
  • JCinGA
    No good.
    I bought it at the Eggtoberfest. It was assemble by the Mothership crew.
  • JCinGA
    I removed the old seal and then cleaned the area with Goof Off followed by a good scrubbing with acetone until I couldn't feel any more of the old adhesive. I let it dry for 45 minutes before I put the new gasket on.
  • JCinGA
    Thank you.
    I will try that in the a.m.. I'm too tired from fighting it today to try it tonight.
  • If you are working with a medium call John at BGE and discuss your problem with him.

Even if it isn't a medium it would be worth a call. I too tried using wood and a rubber mallet, probably not the best thing to do.

GG
  • Hammer
    Did you remove the dome and bands when you replaced the gasket? If you did, did you; recenter the dome, front and back; left and right; then tighten the bands?
    Hammer
  • JCinGA
    I didn't loosen anything up until I realized I had a problem. I had changed the seal out before
    with no apparent problem.
  • Hammer
    Maybe I do it the old fashion way, but I've never replaced a gasket without removing the dome. Then I re-center the dome and then replace the bands. I've had few gasket problems or dome problems.
    I believe if you re-centered the dome, and adjusted the bands as the directions explain, that your problems may be solved.
    Hammer
  • I seriously suggest that you just loosen both bands and try to pry them as far apart as possible and just keep wrestling with things until you get the seal you want. We sometimes, with new Eggs, actually will swap domes and bases to get a pair that mates better but this is usually not needed. If you are having trouble in the rear ..and it's a medium egg ... mine has an incurable gap there also ...but you might want to loosen the lock nuts that hold on the spring hinge and let them "reseat" ...remember just keep wrestling with it until you get it and then tighten things up.

I actually have about 2 hours of video I shot last week when I replaced the gasket on my personal "trusty, krusty" large BGE and will be editing it and posting it shortly. On there I wrestle it like an alligator! :ohmy:
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa.