Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Ribs

Options
Vegas Slim
Vegas Slim Posts: 166
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ok I have tried and love the 3/1/1.5 method but am looking to try another way to cook baby back ribs any suggestions? thank you

Comments

• Vegas Slim, the ribs in the pictures were done this last Webdnesday. Nothing fancy, marinated in Memphis Rib Rub for about 18 hours and then cooked indirect at 250-275 for just under 5 hours - Flipped twice at about 1.5 hours and again at 2.5 hours.[p]About 1 hour to go...
    IMG_0250.JPG
    Ready to eat...
    IMG_0253.JPG[p]Life is GOOD! :~}

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Vegas Slim,[p]Try them direct between 220 and 250. Takes about 3.5 hours. Use plenty of smoke and I think you'll like them...I do.

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    Bob and Vegas Slim,[p]I use roughly the same method, but I go indirect with a plate setter and drip pan. Have become a bliever in slathering the ribs in cheap mustard and then a dry rub.[p]Kelly

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Vegas Slim,
    I've got a couple of racks soaking in goop since last night.
    I usually cook them by the 3/1/1.5 method but think I'll try them indirect smoking at 250 for the first hour and then bump it up to 325 or so for a couple more hours. Spray em with apple juice the last 2 hours and some bbq sauce the last 1/2 hour.
    Just need to try something new.
    B D

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Vegas Slim,[p]A techinique that really got my attention was the way Carson's(Chicago) cooks their ribs. Though I think the restaurant is grossly overated, the technique has worked great for me.[p]This technique requires you to have a thick BBQ sauce that you really love. Normally, I serve 4-5 sauces separate and serve the ribs dry. This one uses one sauce only...though I have made with the same sauce but added heat to half the batch.[p]Also, temps MUST be maintained under 250º![p]The technique is very simple, slather on the sauce very heavily BEFORE the ribs go in the pit. Then slather again every 1.5 hours until done. No foiling, no mopping.[p]I have done this with VERY sweet sauces and they will NOT burn if your temps are kept below 250º. They come out nice and juicy and you have a wonderful coating of the sauce that is crispy.[p]I always recommend this if you are trying to develop a sauce or if you are trying to build a name for your sauce. In the catering biz, I think this would be especially effective because you can "show-off" a bit by wielding an oversized mopping brush and apply loads of the sauce as the ribs cook.[p]Stogie[p]

• Mark G
    Mark G Posts: 39
    Options
    Big Daddy,
    I've got four racks in the frig now coverd in mustard and dry rub and plan to cook them just as you described. Been doing them this way for a few weeks now and they come out perfect every time. I'll do
    250° for an hour with apple wood for smoke
    300° for three hours flipping ribs in the rack after an hour
    All indirect, then direct for 30min or so to sauce. We have 17 of our closest friends coming over today so the egg will be busy. I don't think I had this many close friends before I got me Egg! The smell of great food cooking is an effective way of meeting your neighbors.[p]Mark G