Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overlapping ribs

Options
MW
MW Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is it ok to overlap ribs so that you can fit more on the grill than space permits? Or should they just be done in batches?
Ideas and suggestions appreciated.
MW

Comments

• SLOPPY PIG
    Options
    MW,
    I do a lot of ribs.I mainly cook babybacks using a homemade
    rack.I stand 4 racks up in the rack and lat 2 across the top of them for a total of 6 per large egg.
    A method many people use is stacking.This would be simply stacking the slabs on top of one another(usaually no more than 4 high)with thw bone side donw and let them cook SLOW around 225-250.Check for tenderness after about 3 1/2 hrs.
    Then seperate and lay flat for another 45min or so and finish with so sauce in the last 15 min.[p]Just some info.Hope it helps somewhat

• MW
    MW Posts: 61
    Options
    SloppyPig, thanx for the tips...MW[p]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    MW,
    You could use a rib rack, or a homemade one like Sloppy Pig.[p]You could also cook with a 2 level setup. Top grate elevated by sideways firebricks, unless you have the new BGE extended grid. That way you get more surface exposure to the heat and smoke. After a couple hours, move the top layer to the bottom, and the bottom to the top.[p]One more idea is to look in the recipe section for JSlots indirect technique. He often cooks large bunches of ribs, and from experience, I know his technique puts out killer juicy ribs.[p]Good luck.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Options
    MW,[p]A salesperson at BBQ Galore, who had an Egg, told me that he stacked his ribs, and separated them with chunks of wood and then rotated the stack and took them off as they were done and then tossed the wood chunks into the fire to keep the smoke going.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Teslamania,
    That sounds very interesting! The guy at Barbecue Galore told me he had an egg, but he cooks steaks on his gas grill. I guess all salesmen have the products they sell "at home"!![p]Sorry, but I find it hard to take what BBQ salesmen tell me without some skepticism. I wonder what the ribs on the bottom look like with the different colored depression from the wood pressing down on it?? And the lack of crust wherever the wood touches the meat.[p]Don't mean to be so skeptical here on Saturday morning!!
    Have a great weekend.
    NB[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    SloppyPig,[p]Hey good to see you post again. This man knows how to cook some ribs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![p]Tim
  • Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]The guy that told me this did not sell me the egg. I was in getting some rubs and woods. I asked him if he had cooked on one and he said that was the only smoker he used at home. He must have been cooking baby back ribs. I bought my egg at a different place.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Teslamania,
    I guess his technique would work. Who knows. Sounds interesting. After what that guy at BBQ Galore told me, it is obvious that some of the folks who claim to cook on eggs at home are either fibbing, or they have not reaped the benefits of learning here on this great forum![p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com