Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long for 9 lb. brisket

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My 16 y/o son talked me into getting a brisket to cook tomorrow. I checked a few recipes but found little to say about time to cook.
What are the general rules of thumb for brisket? Its was 9 1/2 lbs before trimming. I plan to cook at 225-250 indirect.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Robert

Comments

• Warthog
    Options
    Wrobs
    Most of the people you see on here deal more with Time than with Temp. I believe there is another post a further down the page that talks about an 8 pounder that went on a 10 p.m. the night before, and pulled it at 4:30 p.m. the next day with an internal temp of 197. If you plan on eating it tomorrow, you might want to fire that Egg up tonight and get busy!! I believe that there are some detailed instructions in the cookbook feature on this site.

Good luck

warthog
  • Crash
    Crash Posts: 32
    Options
    I have done two, and they worked out at about one hour per pound.
    Good luck
  • wrobs
    wrobs Posts: 109
    Options
    Hey Warthog, I cook by temperaure but was trying to get an idea about time. It obviously is a very wide range based on the earlier post with +/- 16 hours and Crash saying hour per pound. Its on right now and we'll see what happens.
    I injected it with Creole butter and rubbed it up with DP Cowlick. Egg at 225 with two chunks of red oak for smoke....
    Robert
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I cook to temp and punt with the 'time' and count on a long rest time (up to 4 hours) to get to eating time.

Food is done when it is done. Cooking on time is a sure way to get over or under done.

On a brisket I have underguessed my eat time and the brisket looked like it wouldn't complete in time. I foiled and cranked up the heat of the egg to try and get things done in time. It worked ok an no complaints.

GG