Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s time to kick back, relax and enjoy the aromas of fresh smoked meat as we sail towards summer. Not sure what to smoke? Try Down & Dizzy Pork Shoulder or Smoked Spanish Chicken. Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

How long for 9 lb. brisket

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My 16 y/o son talked me into getting a brisket to cook tomorrow. I checked a few recipes but found little to say about time to cook.
What are the general rules of thumb for brisket? Its was 9 1/2 lbs before trimming. I plan to cook at 225-250 indirect.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Robert

Comments

• Wrobs
    Most of the people you see on here deal more with Time than with Temp. I believe there is another post a further down the page that talks about an 8 pounder that went on a 10 p.m. the night before, and pulled it at 4:30 p.m. the next day with an internal temp of 197. If you plan on eating it tomorrow, you might want to fire that Egg up tonight and get busy!! I believe that there are some detailed instructions in the cookbook feature on this site.

Good luck

warthog
  • CrashCrash Posts: 32
    I have done two, and they worked out at about one hour per pound.
    Good luck
  • wrobswrobs Posts: 109
    Hey Warthog, I cook by temperaure but was trying to get an idea about time. It obviously is a very wide range based on the earlier post with +/- 16 hours and Crash saying hour per pound. Its on right now and we'll see what happens.
    I injected it with Creole butter and rubbed it up with DP Cowlick. Egg at 225 with two chunks of red oak for smoke....
    Robert
  • I cook to temp and punt with the 'time' and count on a long rest time (up to 4 hours) to get to eating time.

Food is done when it is done. Cooking on time is a sure way to get over or under done.

On a brisket I have underguessed my eat time and the brisket looked like it wouldn't complete in time. I foiled and cranked up the heat of the egg to try and get things done in time. It worked ok an no complaints.

GG