Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Extra Grate for Large

Options
Jethro
Jethro Posts: 495
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to pick up an additional grate to place on over fire bricks set on their side atop the original grate in my large BGE. I know the original grate is 18.25", but was wondering what the best size is to maximize space is considering the slope of the dome.[p]Got some jerky marinading that I am looking forward to trying.[p]Jethro

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    jerky.jpg
    <p />Jethro, I use the 18" weber grate that I bought at home depot for an extra grate. It's pretty cheap, I think about $8.00 and fits well. When I do jerky I use a grid extender and some wire racks, I think they are called "Grill Toppers". I put one level raised up off the base of and inverted plate setter, one on the grate sitting on the legs and one on the grid extender. You can do a ton of jerky on a large this way. [p]Also, thanks for the tip on Butch's BBQ sauce. I got some sweet & spicy and pyro sauces, and the super-pyro wing sauce. All were very good. I will be buying more from him in the future. My BGE dealer may even start to carry it. Again thatks for the advice and good luck with the jerky.[p]Chuck <><

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Chuck,[p]My thanks as well to you for the advise.[p]I am glad to hear you liked the Butch's. It's the best I've had - not that I am not going to keep trying others, but that one's definately in my buy it when you find it group.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro