Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cooking Ribs Flat or Vertical

TXTrikerTXTriker Posts: 1,177
edited 10:28PM in EggHead Forum
How many of you cook your ribs flat (I suppose turning them?) as opposed to cooking them on a rib rack?

And why?

Thanks,
·

Comments

• I cook them flat because I only cook 1 to 3 racks at a time and it makes it easier to apply a sauce at the end.

Spacey
    ·
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    See the below post. I have been 50/50 with the rack but spider & adj. rig are def. in my future. The rack works good but those laying flat were great.
    Pat
    ·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Just depend on how many I'm doing, I prefer to do them flat. -RP
    ·
  • I do them both ways....the racks I did today, I began in an inverted V-rack for the first three hours, then foiled them flat for an hour, then did them on the grate flat for another hour, saucing the last 30 minutes.
    ·
  • I cook mine flat. See

Ribs014.jpg

I guess I do it this way cause I can. :laugh: I normally do two or three racks. If I were to do more than four or five I would have to get imaginative with the arrangement.
    ·
  • NessmukNessmuk Posts: 251
    I have cooked them vertically/standing. But, returned to cooking them bone side down.

I never turn them.

At some contests, I see cooker hanging them. Back in Pellsylvania, we hung our hams to smoke them. We used sassafrass & smoked them for a week or 2 without the aid of a thermometer.

Like most BBQ cooking...there is no one best way. My immediate family dictates how I cook & what seasoning I use.
    ·
  • Beanie-BeanBeanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    I cook them flat--check out my post three down from yours.
    ·
  • It depends on the number of racks. More than 3 I use a vertical rack.
    ·
  • Angie2BAngie2B Posts: 543
    With my MED, I use a rib rack. With my mini, I roll them. ;)
    ·
  • Cook em flat - I guess because I can. Have done 6 at a time but think I could do 12 on the flat on the XL if I needed to. Have cooked them with homemade extension and with fire brick extension. Prefer fire brick set up - ease of set up and take down.

101_1752640x480.jpg

101_1853640x480.jpg
    ·