Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cooking Ribs Flat or Vertical

TXTrikerTXTriker Posts: 1,177
edited 2:19PM in EggHead Forum
How many of you cook your ribs flat (I suppose turning them?) as opposed to cooking them on a rib rack?

And why?

Thanks,
·

Comments

• I cook them flat because I only cook 1 to 3 racks at a time and it makes it easier to apply a sauce at the end.

Spacey
    ·
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    See the below post. I have been 50/50 with the rack but spider & adj. rig are def. in my future. The rack works good but those laying flat were great.
    Pat
    ·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Just depend on how many I'm doing, I prefer to do them flat. -RP
    ·
  • I do them both ways....the racks I did today, I began in an inverted V-rack for the first three hours, then foiled them flat for an hour, then did them on the grate flat for another hour, saucing the last 30 minutes.
    ·
  • I cook mine flat. See

Ribs014.jpg

I guess I do it this way cause I can. :laugh: I normally do two or three racks. If I were to do more than four or five I would have to get imaginative with the arrangement.
    ·
  • NessmukNessmuk Posts: 251
    I have cooked them vertically/standing. But, returned to cooking them bone side down.

I never turn them.

At some contests, I see cooker hanging them. Back in Pellsylvania, we hung our hams to smoke them. We used sassafrass & smoked them for a week or 2 without the aid of a thermometer.

Like most BBQ cooking...there is no one best way. My immediate family dictates how I cook & what seasoning I use.
    ·
  • Beanie-BeanBeanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    I cook them flat--check out my post three down from yours.
    ·
  • It depends on the number of racks. More than 3 I use a vertical rack.
    ·
  • Angie2BAngie2B Posts: 543
    With my MED, I use a rib rack. With my mini, I roll them. ;)
    ·
  • Cook em flat - I guess because I can. Have done 6 at a time but think I could do 12 on the flat on the XL if I needed to. Have cooked them with homemade extension and with fire brick extension. Prefer fire brick set up - ease of set up and take down.

101_1752640x480.jpg

101_1853640x480.jpg
    ·