Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

using wood only

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are thinking about purchasing the BGE, but would like some info about cooking with wood instead of charcoal. We live in Arizona and currently barbecue 4 to 6 days a week using mesquite wood. Has anyone used wood only in their BGE. If so would you please respond with your experiences and results. We would also appreciate any other information concerning the usability of the BGE in any way.[p]Thanks in Advance,
Brad

Comments

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    Brad, I've done a couple of all-wood cooks [oak], with mixed results. The first time, I just lit the wood and cooked the food, but the smoke flavor was too intense and bitter. The second time I let the wood burn down to embers for about an hour and then did my grilling, which was a lot better. [p]But I usually don't have time to wait an hour, so I use lump charcoal and add some wood chunks.[p]I wonder about using all wood with the dome open. That's how they cook tri-tip in central California [over an oak pit]. And it comes out great. But it's not closed, like the Egg, so the smoke is less intensely concentrated. Also, I think they let their oak logs burn down a bit, before they grill.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Brad:[p]Just echoing Prof Dan . . . The cook was too smoky and wood fire produces much more ash than lump. I think it is far easier to cook with lump and add chips for smoke flavor.
    [/b]
  • sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Brad,[p]Along the lines of what the others are saying, I won't even use the Mesquite lump charcoals that are available locally (Scottsdale resident). Those lumps seem to generate too much smoke, for use in the BGE. I'm quite fond of Hasty-Bake lump, which can now be found at BBQ's Galore. It's not cheap, but it burns very clean (neutral smoke flavor), and allows the other smoking woods that I may chose (apple, mesquite, hickory, etc.) to be the dominant flavor.[p]Enjoy![p]--sdb
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    sdbelt,
    Try mixing the Mesquite Lump with the hardwood Lump. I use this lump mix for fajitas and sometimes steak. I only add two or three chunks of Mesquite Lump. That seems to do the trick.[p]Remember to watch the Mesquite Lump as it will throw sparks.[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]