Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cornbeef

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone tried cornbeef? What temp and how long?

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    brokerbabe,
    I put a 5 pound corned flat on for 2 hours at 225*, then finish it by simmering according to package directions. Worked much better than doing the entire time in the Egg.

• BlueSmoke,
    Know what Smoke, I did my pastramis that way this year.. Well, I smoked them longer than you did. I took them to a 155° Internal. But then I took themoff and simmered them till they were tender. Just fork tender, not fall apart tender because I wanted to slice them.. But I was really kinda surprised as to how they did not loose one bit of the smoke from simmering them..[p] Another thing, after they cooled I sliced, nice thin slices, and when I went to reheat..
    I steamed them.. Only takes a minute and they get so juicy and tender.. [p]
    Dylan[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Q.N.E. tyme,
    You hit on the important point here. Corned Beef is traditionally boiled. If it is smoked, then it becomes Pastrami. Either way, I eat more of it than I should.
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Q.N.E. tyme,[p]You're right about cooking/smoking longer. I go for an internal temp of 165-175 (dome temp of 225-230). I have covered with foil but I didn't notice that much improvement. I usually do two at a time. One, we eat hot. The other goes in the refrigerator for slicing once it's cooled off. Makes great lunches!

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Q.N.E. tyme,
    Had an old Rumanian buddy, may his soul rest in peace, who b*tched and moaned about the low estate of American pastrami. I came pretty close to satisfying his taster by putting in twice as much black pepper corns (in the simmer pot) as there were mixed spices in the "included spice packet". Got even closer with 2 Tbsp granulated garlic in the water.
    Like the man below said - gotta do two: one for "now" one for tomorrow's sandwiches.