Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sides for Butt

Options
Ellen aka Gormay
Ellen aka Gormay Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Now that you all have been helpful in giving me tips about smoking a small butt, I'd like to concentrate on sides. It goes without saying that I plan to make several sauces and serve the pork with cheap buns (isn't butt on buns redundant? :-) and coleslaw. I have a large BGE and there should be room to cook something else at the same time. Does anyone have a bean or side dish recipe that would be appropriate to cook low and slow to keep little Porky company?[p]Actually, any suggestions for different dishes that can be cooked simultaneously would be appreciated. I might as well utilize lump in the most efficient way possible.[p]Ellen

Comments

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Ellen aka Gormay,[p]I am cooking a dozen racks of ribs and baked beans and some of DRBBQ's cornbread casserole. I have a few of the guys coming over tomorrow night for the start of the Frozen Four.[p]Here are the recipes....[p]This bean recipe took 4th place and 13th place in Michigan the last 2 years. I cook it for about 3 hours and let the butt drip into for that period of time.[p]The CornBread Casserole is a creation of DRBBQ of which he sells at his BBQ joint. He may have posted this in the past, but here it is again. [p]Very good stuff![p]Enjoy!![p]Stogie
    ___________________________________________________________[p]Kevi's Harvest Baked Beans [p]2 can(s), 28 oz. each Baked beans
    1/2 cup BBQ Sauce
    1/2 cup Cider vinegar
    1/2 cup Maple syrup
    1/4 cup Brown sugar
    3 teaspoon(s) Dry mustard
    2 cup(s) Apple(s), diced
    1/2 pound Bacon[p]PREPARATION:
    Combine all ingredients, except bacon, in baking dish.
    Place bacon over top of beans. You can also use any leftover BBQ trimmings, either pork or beef, in place of the bacon.
    Cook at 350º for 45 minutes, uncovered.
    I smoke these in my pit and will cook for 3 hours at 225º.
    ____________________________________________________________[p]This is from the docs place in Lakeland, FL.[p]BigTime BBQ Corn Bread Casserole [p]3 large Egg(s), beaten
    1 1/4 cup(s) Milk
    1 stick Butter or margarine, melted
    1 1/4 cup(s) Corn meal, yellow
    1 teaspoon Baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
    2 teaspoon(s) Salt
    2 can(s) Creamed corn[p]PREPARATION:
    Mix together eggs, milk and butter.
    Blend in corn meal, baking soda & powder and salt.
    Mix in creamed corn.
    Spray 9 x 13 baking dish and pour in.
    Bake at 375 for 45 minutes.[p]

• David B.
    David B. Posts: 24
    Options
    Ellen aka Gormay,[p]Cole Slaw would be okay, but try this southern style slaw:[p]http://biggreenegg.com/recipes/sides/maryLeesSlaw.html[p]it doesn't use mayonaise, but rather a vinegar dressing, I have added a few chopped up habaneros to good reviews. I think it's a little more "authentic" with pulled pork.[p]David B.
  • Ellen aka Gormay,[p]I like it simple......[p]bbq beans
    hushpuppies (Elder Wards recipe link shown below)
    plain old 'tater chips
    Lynchburg Lemonade*[p]* 1-1/2 shots Jack Daniels
    1/2 shot sweet/sour mix
    1 shot triple sec
    4-5 shots 7up or sprite
    mix well, add ice & lemon wedge

To quote Mr. Homer J. Simpson....
    "Liquor is a way of life. Liquor is MY way of life. And I aims to keep it."[p]lns

[ul][li]hushpuppy recipe[/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Ellen aka Gormay,[p]I tend to side with lo n' slo, preferring to keep the meal simple. I also agree that the hush puppies are quite appropriate and very good. Corn bread would be nice also.[p]A potatoe side is nice for the meal (either as a salad or baked in the Egg). Baking a russet or sweet potatoe is an easy cook with the butt. I like to almost cut the potatoe in half (lengthwise) and then almost cut it into quarters. Add a dab of butter in each of the openings created and sprinkle with kosher salt and a few cranks of fresh cracked pepper (tellicherry is our favorite). I add a generous sprinkle of brown sugar to the sweet potatoes. Wrap tightly in foil and add to the Egg. At 225-250°F (dome), a fist sized potatoe will be soft and fluffy in 2-3 hours.[p]Yellow squash also works well with pulled pork. Wrap in foil and cook for 45-60 minutes with the pork. Split in half, add butter, salt, and pepper.[p]It is best to remove the pork to a foil tented rest to allow the juices to redistribute for 30 minutes or so. This rest will allow you a comfortable time period to provide for the finish of anything else cooked.[p]Spin
  • Ellen aka Gormay
    Options
    Stogie,[p]Thanks to you et al for the great suggestions.[p]The bean recipe is especially appealing when the beans are cooked under the pork. It sounds as if the baking pan creates an indirect set up, serves as the drip pan, and allows the beans to pick up even more flavor, all at the same time. If that isn't efficiency, I don't know what is!!![p]Now I've got enough tips and ideas to make a great meal. Coordinating the ccok when hubby is in town and relatives can make it, is the next step. I think I'm making progress....[p]E.
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Ellen aka Gormay,
    WOW. The thought of baked beans cooked under a smoked butt is simply maddening to me. Somebody has got to try this. The trick would be to not burn the beans on the bottom.[p]Hey Stogie thanks for bringing it up.
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Ellen aka Gormay
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I was also thinking about the problem of burning. I wondered if the butt was to sit on the grid with the beans balanced on firebricks, a lower grid or an overturned placesetter underneath or do the beans go on the grid with the grid extender attached making a higher level for the butt.[p]Also what type of baking dish does one use. I understand that the smoke may discolor or damage cookware. I was thinking of covering a corningware casserole dish with foil to protect it. I also wondered about using other baking vessels such as metal or glass pans or a cast iron skillet. Are there pros and cons to using these types of cook/bakeware?[p]Inquiring minds want to know....Stogie are you out there?
  • Stogie
    Options
    Ellen aka Gormay,[p]I use incredibly cheap pots for doing this. I bought them specifically for this purpose. You are right, any pot will be quickly covered with smoke. Cast iron will work as well. Covering in foil will also work...but I would caution against using anything of great value.[p]I do not have the heat problem that you folks have. My WSM has that lower grate that sits right above the water pan. This is where the pot sits.[p]Hope this helps.[p]Stogie
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Ellen aka Gormay, Firebricks under the pan should work well. One idea is to use an aluminum throw-away pan. They are sturdy enough to hold a grill with a 7-Lb butt but if you put the grill extender over it there will absolutely not be a problem. The only issue might be as to when you put the beans on. 12-20 hours of cooking beans might be an overkill.[p]I say go for it and let us know how it turns out.

• Stogie
    Options
    Wise One,[p]You are correct! DON'T cook the beans the whole time you are cooking the butt!! 3 hours is all that these beans need. Imagine having 15 hours worth of fat in those beans??? LOL Talk about overkill![p]Stogie