Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why flip ribs?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This may be a newbie question, but I haven't been able to find an answer. [p]Why flip ribs? [p]All the rib recipes I have seen from Egg users call for flipping or turning. Doesn't that go against the beauty of the Egg's ability for set it and forget it? Don't you lose moisture and temp control every time you open the lid?[p]I don't flip my pulled pork. And I don't flip a nice big brisket. So why flip some thin ribs?[p]What happens if you just cook them indirect and don't flip or turn?[p]This might turn into a very fun experiment of cooking lots of ribs in a variety of ways.[p]Thanks

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Turbodog,
    I am with you, why flip ribs. I roll them and stand them up. I do do the set it and forget it method of cooking ribs, although I do not remember the BGE Infomercial mentioning set it and forget it.[p]The basic explanation to this question is to each his (or her) own. I have had ribs that were cooked directly, indirectly, steamed, flipped, not flipped, boiled, sauced, not sauced. Every one was good in their own way, except the boiled ones.[p]The fun is trying as many ways as you can to find out what works best for you. [p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• newsense
    newsense Posts: 32
    Options
    Turbodog,[p]I never flip my ribs, and I haven't made a bad batch yet. Just heat the egg to about 250 and cook the ribs indirect for about three hours. After the three hours, I coat the ribs with bbq sauce, wrap them in foil and leave them on the egg grill with all the dampers closed for an hour or until ready to eat. I've never tried the 1-2-1 or 1-3-1 methods, and I'm sure they all have their merits, but I'm with you.... it's really simple to put it on the grill and forget it for three hours.
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Turbodog,[p]Only time I flip rubs is when finishing the directly over the fire. The wife like them with sause that is chared a bit. Usually durring the last 15 or so minutes after they are done ... just to keep the honey happy![p]Smokey

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Turbodog,[p]That would work great for indrect methods but I would not recommend it for direct. Try it and you will see what I mean.[p]I love my ribs....[p][p]
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Turbodog, I usually flip the ribs somewhere around 1.5 hours and again after 3.0 hours - I like the heat in the dome to hit both sides - just my way :~}

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    Turbodog,[p]I've done it both ways and don't see much of a difference, if any. Lately, I do it for 4 hr at 275 over a pan of water sitting on fire bricks, with a few oak chunks added to the fire just as I put the ribs on. Fall-off-the-bone tender, deeply smoked. [I should add that I carefully peel off the membrane and rub the ribs with a Memphis-style rub the day before. The membrane thing is the only tricky part of the process -- I am still not an expert at that.][p]Hickory would probably be better than oak, but I live in California and hickory chunks are hard to find.