Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Accessorize Me

Options
BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On his PBS show, Rick Bayless recently did "Shaken Fish"; a filleted fish placed in a flat basket and basted while grilling. During the course of the 10 to 15 minute cook, Bayless flipped the basket 4 or 5 times. Because it was protected by the basket the fish survived the ordeal without significant amounts falling through the grill.

Bayless's basket was rectangular, so it worked well with the gasser he used. Anybody know of either a circular basket, or a rectangular one large enough to hold an entire 1.5 pound filet and still fit on an Egg?

The recipe sounded good; the absence of a basket is all that's stopping me.

TIA
Ken

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I bought my fish basket from a local grocery store.I don't know what brand it is,but it is rectangular.It fits fine in my medium egg.I just let the handle hang out and set the egg lid down on it.It works great.I also use it for veggies instead of skewers. :)
  • Scubadog
    Scubadog Posts: 100
    Options
    There are a lot of great pre-made fish grillingbaskets of all sizes on the market. Lowes, H. Depot, GI Joes, etc. The problem is that most of them have a handle that obviously won't work with the Egg. So I just found one I liked, cut off the handle, smoothed out the rough metal cut with my grinder and now I'm good to go. I use my gauntleted welding gloves to do the flips.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    Ken,
    Like Scubadog said there are baskets out there. Here's one I was given maybe 12 years ago but have never used it yet! The basket itself measures 12 x 10 x 2 and depending on which slot you insert the wires in you can compress the fish or meat quite easily. A little modification with a hack saw, add a clip to lock in place and you're there. I see these at Lowe's all the time.
    Click on this slide show to see a couple images.
    th_IMG_2191.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Krusty
    Krusty Posts: 77
    Options
    I saw a similar basket to this at Wally World yesterday. The nice thing about the one at Wally World was that the handle was removable. With the handle being removable, it would easily allow you to close the lid on the Egg. I think the price was around $18.