Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Strange thing just happened in my Egg

BamaEGG
BamaEGG Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I'm preheating my LGE for todays cook which 3 racks of Spares. The stoker gets the temp up to target and of course the there is smoke everywhere. The stoker shuts off and then kicks in a couple of times real quick to just give a burst of air. All the sudden there is this huge rumble inside the egg that literally shakes it and it's table followed by a lot of smoke. It did this about 3 times.

Any ideas what is going on? The firebox is full and there is a bunch of old lump inside. Also, the fresh lump I put in is mostly small pieces as I am finishing off a bag but I didnt use the crumbs in the bottom.

Comments

• From what you are descibing you are gettin fresh air into the egg causing the heated gases to fire/explode.

You vertical airflow is not good.

GG
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Maybe he lives on a fault line. :laugh: I have never seen this so cannot help,sorry.
  • A form of this has happened to me.

He has the Stoker hooked up. The fan has a auto close damper so very little air gets in to the egg when the fan is not working.

The air gets introduced and when enough is in there the smoke igniges. Only three things are needed for a fire heat, fuel and oxygen.

I am wondering if he has a lot of flavor 'chips/chunks' in the egg which are smoking heavily and the top vent closed down pretty small.

GG
  • Further be careful with the stoker probe wires. The sudden heat could cause problems with your probes.

GG
  • BamaEGG
    Dude, it scared the hell out of me when it happened because I was right next to it. It was like someone dropped a grenade in it and closed the dome. :woohoo:
  • BamaEGG
    Actually I did have a good of wood. I had a handful of hickory chunks and a couple handfuls of Jack Daniels barrel chips. Would that help the issue??
  • Scubadog
    Scubadog Posts: 100
    My neighbor had a similar thing happen with his Weber. But we Eggers solved the mystery for him and now he actually OPENS the beer can when making beer can chicken.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Could it be a form of flash back ocurring when the stoker comes on?
  • When there is a ton of smoke inside the egg as soon as oxygen in instroduced it is going to light up. The more concentration of heat and fuel (smoke) the more volital it will become.

I haven't use Jack Daniels chips so I have no idea about that.

'Scared you'... Just think about standing in front of a large egg and seeing smoke coming out all directionis, then opening the dome. The flash back on top was nothing to the flashback out the lowervent.

Remember, the Clint Eastwood spagetti westerns, Pot belly stove door arount my waste from now on.

GG
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    I have used the Jack Daniels chips and have never seen a problem there. I can't think wood chips would cause minor explosions. Dry or soaked. Perhaps a rock or stone in the lump?
  • A stone would surly explote at those heats in the lump.

We can only guess. I do know when I put a lot of chips in the egg and I see smoke coming out the lower vent, top vent and some leakikng around the gasket, remove the top vent open the bottom vent and am very careful when opening the dome. I know I am about to get a flashback.

Usually it is a loud woosh but twice there has been a very low tone boom. Not like a granade but loud.

When I have smaller size lump in the egg I can expect either the egg not getting up to a high temp until I wiggle stick it or some flashback when at the 400° to 550° dome level.

Anyway that is what I have experienced so far.

GG
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Hmmmmmmmm.......

Sounds like a Spider Bark to me!

~ B

:unsure: