Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven Recipes?

Options
02Roush2
02Roush2 Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning Eggers! I bought a dutch oven for my BGE last night and am anxious to give it a try. After spending a considerable amount of time searching the forum last night I just couldn't find many recipes for meals cooked in a dutch oven. Do any of you know a site that has various recipes that might be good to try? Various chile, stew recipes etc.... Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Try this:
    http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/

Also, there are some good brunswick stew and other recipes in the cookbook section
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    This is my sort of go to site for Dutch oven info. But I'm still a real novice at it.

http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Hear is a duck gumbo that is great. You can use chicken instead of duck. here is a duck gumbo recipe...the key is good andouille sausage....

DUCK AND ANDOUILLE GUMBO

2 mallard ducks, cut into serving pieces
    11/4 lbs. andouille sausage
    2 medium onions, finely chopped
    1 bell pepper, finely chopped
    4 stalks celery, finely chopped
    1 cup cooking oil
    1 cup flour
    4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    3 bay leaves
    1/4 tsp. allspice
    1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1 tsp. basil
    1/4 tsp. powdered cloves
    1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
    1 tbsp. salt
    6 shakes black pepper
    4 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
    4 drops Tabasco
    5 green onions, finely chopped
    4 (101/2-oz.) cans beef consommé
    3 cans water

Make a stock with consommé and water in a large, heavy iron pot and bring to a low boil. In a separate heavy iron pot brown duck pieces well in hot cooking oil. (This browning will prevent excess duck fat from cooking out into the gumbo.) When all duck pieces are browned well, place them in the pot of stock. Drain about 3/4 cup of the oil and fat from pot used to brown duck and set aside for later use in making roux. Add the chopped onions, pepper, and celery to the remaining hot oil and sauté until very tender, stirring well. When vegetables are cooked, combine them with the duck and stock.
    Slice andouille into round slices about 1/4 inch thick and brown in the pot used to brown the duck. (Cook out as much grease from the andouille as possible.) Add the browned andouille to the duck, stir well, and maintain cooking at a simmer. As the mixture simmers add the chopped garlic and the rest of the seasonings and stir until all are well blended.
    Make a medium dark roux in the pot used for browning duck and sausage. Use the oil and fat saved from browning and an equal amount of flour. When the roux is cooked, remove from heat and add enough stock from the duck and andouille to thin it; then add the thinned roux to the duck and sausage. (If roux is added to duck without thinning it would form lumps.)
    Stir mixture will and adjust heat to cook at a low simmer. Cover and cook until duck is very tender (about 21/4 hours). At end of cooking remove from heat, add Tabasco, check for salt, add chopped green onions, and let sit for 5 minutes. Serve over rice. Serves six to eight. Will try and post a link with pics. If it doesn't work do a search "duck gumbo" and 1st one.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Try the link below and download the free cast iron cookbook. Should be something of interest in it.

http://www.bbqpits.com/

Rascal
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    There are several sites like this one on the internet. This one in particular is a forum similar to this one. There are a bunch of recipes from fellow Dutch Oven cookers.Hope this helps.

http://forums.idos.org/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=5

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    The options are endless and easy to do on the egg.

Remember not to use the DO lid, kind of like taking a shower with a rain coat on.

Chioppinoa

eggcioppinoa.jpg

eggcioppinob.jpg

Fajita's.

I used a CI Skillet but it will work in a DO. The meat was put directly on the lava glowing lump for about 60 seconds per side, then sliced. The vegies were done in the skillet with EVOO and meat introduced after softening began.

Fajita.jpg

Stew, simple and good. I use 1/2 chicken broth and 1/2 beef broth, that gives a better taste, but if one wants a dark liquid then use all beef broth.

stew.jpg

I also have a fantistic pot roast recipe, spoon roast, in the DO. The cook takes from 4 to 6 hours and the meat is so tender it will cut with a spoon.

Great Sunday dinner and then hard roll sammies later on.

If anything interests you email and I will send the recipe.

GG
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Grandpas Grub, what is that heavenly looking stuff in the first picture?? anything that involves a hunk of sourdough I love and that is just yummy looking. please share! Julie
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    I would love the recipe. I make a decent potroast but am always looking to improve. Thanks!!!!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• 02Roush2
    02Roush2 Posts: 119
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Your help is appreciated! So many choices now...... :P
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Don't mean to jump someone elses thread. Looks like Cioppino to me. My Great grandma use to make the best, unfortunately no one wants to make it anymore out of respect. I'll let a few of the old timers pass on and then I'm going to use Grandpas recipe. It's the closest thing I can remember ingredient wise.

Cioppino:
    1 large onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic minced
    1 large green pepper, diced
    1/3 cup parsley, chopped
    ¼ cup olive oil

In a soup pot, sauté the vegetables in the oil until soft

1 8-oz. Can tomato sauce
    3 14-½ oz. Can cut and peeled tomatoes
    1 cup water
    10oz. Tomato juice
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp. Dried basil
    ½ tsp. Dried oregano
    1 tsp Parsley

Add to the pot. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. If not served immediately, cool, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.

12 clams, well scrubbed (24 is better)
    1 lb. Medium shrimp – (2 pounds is better), shelled and cleaned (I use cooked and cleaned)
    1 large Dungeness crab, cleaned and broken into pieces
    1 pound of imitation crab (works great – use 2 if you don’t want to use the whole crab)

bring soup back to a simmer. Add seafood and simmer an additional 20 minutes or until clams open and shrimp turn pink. (If using cooked shrimp – wait until clams begin to open than add shrimp).

Notes:
    If using imitation crab get some legs for looks and the stock
    Feel free to vary the seafood to what is in season.

Note: I have never cooked this on the egg, I am wondering how the smoke will change the flavor also the change if using flvor wood. Egg cooking is a next few days project.

I hope whoever tries this enjoys it as much as I do. Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Well,

When my fingers are on the correct keys and I can see these extremely small letters and I spell corectly it is Cioppino - Very basic fish stew.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Dawgtired,

You have mail - just sent the recipe. email me ifyou didn't get it.

Great simple recipe.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Mike,

Thanks for posting that. I have got to get something easy to store these things in.

Kent
  • Here is a very good beef stew recipe:

D.A.R. Beef Stew recipe:

2 lbs of stew meat or round steak cut up
    1 can of English Peas - do not drain
    onions - if desired
    2 cans of Cream of Mushroom soup
    carrots - I used a whole bag of baby carrots
    potatoes - I cut up 1.5 lbs of white creamer new potatoes
    Salt/Pepper to taste
    Put all together in dutch oven, do not brown meat
    Cook @ 250-275 for 5-6 hours