Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

From out of the ashes...

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BurnedBottom.JPG
<p />So yesterday I got to pick up my spiffy new spring-assisted-hingy-thingy. Yes![p]Imagine the horror when I got Humpty out of his snug fitting home and saw the ravages wraught by some nuclear cooks of the past.[p]After I finished shrieking like a little school girl (of which, I am not) I gathered what wits I may have about me, and some bricks.[p]Now, humpty sits rather gingerly on his new brick pad doing his magic to some hard boiled eggs and a HUGE chunk of salmon that I do a sort of modified gravalax Pacific Northwest smoked salmon thing too.[p]Just thought I'd share this pic to serve as a reminder to protect your deck/tables![p]Happy Easter all,
bc

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    bc,
    ah...a picture worth 10,000 words! After 6 months of sitting on a cement stepping stone that stone cracked from heat. I assume it was from the moisture which had wicked into the concrete. At that time I started with a new stone along with those 3 green feet I had originally scoffed at.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    bc,[p]Thanks for taking the time to show us a reminder. 20 months ago our next door neighbor's house burnt to its foundation. Cause of the fire is still "undetermined", but the fire marshall states that every clue indicates that the fire started on their deck and worked its way inside the house.[p]Puj
  • Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Options
    bc,
    What was Ole Mr. Egg sitting on? Bricks? The little "feet" which come with the Egg? Or was it just sitting directly on the burned wood in the picture? Just couldn't tell from the picture or the great reminder of being careful.

• Toe 49,
    It was directly on the wood, just as the manufacturer of the table recommended. (oops! I should have thrown out *that* manul too I guess!)[p]I know that I did have the lil green feet under there for a while, but I just can't recall why I took them out... (I've slept since then)[p]You can tell from the picture that there is a brace just to the left side of the "burn site", so I don't think it was ever in a real danger of falling through or anything.[p]It was an eye opener for sure.[p]bc[p]

• SamIam
    SamIam Posts: 20
    Options
    bc,
    OK. more stupid questions. I was planning to make a table like the wooden table that is in the catalog, but mine will have at least one pair of wheels under the egg so I can roll the thing in and out of my garage to the patio. [p]I was thinking of suspending the egg by the underside of the lip. It can be done by adding more support to the slats, turning the slats so they will be standing on the thin edge, and making sure that everything is screwed or bolted together. Then droping the lower surface down to allow the egg to be suspended. [p]Has anyone tried this? I don't want to rest the egg on concrete pavers, for fear it may damage the surface of the egg. Wood looks like it could start a fire. Someone suggested using the feet that came with the egg. Mine did'nt come with anything like that, and I just went through all the packing again to see if I missed it.[p]-Sam

• Sam I am,
    Hmm, I can't comment on suspending the egg from personal eggsperience, but I can give you an uneducated guess...<g>[p]The idea of placing all of the weight of the egg (I'm assuming large here) on the lip below the bottom band really does make me nervous. Again, I have no fancy explanations for it, but it seems like they did not design the egg for such an instalation.[p]How about a bit of cushion on the brick between your egg and the brick/slate below? I'm thinking something like the gasket material they use for woodstoves or something.[p]That would give you up to a half inch of fabric to cushion the eggs tender bottom (!) from the hard material below, and you probably would not even see it from the outside.[p]Let us know what you end up with!
    bc

• SamIam
    SamIam Posts: 20
    Options
    Toe 49,
    More questions. Could some one explain the little "feet" that come with the egg? I went through the packing that the egg came in thouroughly and there were no little "feet" at all. I liked bc's idea about the gasket material. I have seen it in coils, and I just might rest the egg on a coil of the stuff. Nice and soft for my egg's delicate bottom! [p]The reason I am so obsessive over this, is that Im thinking about making the table out of Teak. It is easily had here in Seattle, and some of the ship yards I deal with can give me "Scraps" that will practicaly fill my whole list of materials.[p]SIa

• Hey Sam I am, [p]They are basicaly just little pieces of the same ceramic the egg is made of designed to lift it about an inch off your deck. Most table manufacturers seem to say you don't need them for their tables. As you can see, thats hooey.[p]I'd post a pic for you right now, but I've got domestic issues to deal with. B/fly chicken is ready to go on, and the daughter's school bus is almost here! A man's work is never done (When his wife is out of town)[p]If you want, send me your email address and I'll send you a pic of the lil' feet later.[p]bc
    (Also in the Seattle area there seems to be a growing list of us eggheads localy!)

• bc,
    Thanks for the info. Ill send you my address when I get home. Hrmmm.... B/fly chicken. I should be tired of that, but it is soooooooo good![p]I now have the design firmly in mind and with or with out the little feet, I think Ive got a winner. Thanks to all of you. Ill try to get a picture up on a seperate thread, when I am done and can borrow the neighbor's D-camera.[p]As an aside, do they have an Eggtober-fest in the Northwest?[p]SIa

• Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    feet.jpg
    <p />Sam I am,[p]Here is a pic of the little green feet. They are about 3 1/2" long, and the egg just sits on top of them.[p]-Boccie
  • S,[p]As for an Eggfest in the Pacific Northwest, I've not heard of one, but I bet we could pull one off![p]I personally know of four other people that I've converted to the joys of the BGE. A couple of them are working some recruits of their own right.[p]I know "of" about four more that are not on the boards here. Kind of friends-of-friends that I've only heard about, not met.[p]Then, add up the folks that *do* participate on this forum that are within whiffing distance of our cooks, and I bet we could get a decent showing for an Eggfest of our own.[p]I've talked the possibility over with some of my fellow NW eggers, but not made any real plans yet. My non-egging life is just a bit too busy right now to be the one to organize something like that. Maybe a bit later in the summer...[p]As for the B/Fly chicken, it came out great of course! It was in a light herb brine for a hour and a half.[p]The carcass will go to make a stock for upcoming soup and rice dishes. Anybody else use a smoked or grilled chicken carcass for real stock? Can't be beat![p]bc