Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza and parchment question for all pizza makers

Options
HungryMan
HungryMan Posts: 3,470
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I use a pizza screen to make the pizza on. I then use a peel to put it on my stone. As soon as it starts to firm up a little, I remove the pizza from the screen and finish the pizza up directly on the stone. I was told the reason you use the stone is to draw out the moisture from the crust to crisp it. Will parchment papers stop this from happening?

Comments

• BlueRidge
    Options
    I have cooked pizza's in the oven for years directly on the stone and have done many now on my egg. I have become VERY fond of building the pie on parchment and moving that directly to my pizza stone..nice and crisp thin crust...no worries.

Just out of curiosity, why the screen to the stone as opposed to simply on the stone?
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I've seen that theory posted, but I don't buy into it. Sometimes the parchment comes out halfway through the cook sometimes it stays in place, doesn't seem to matter as far as crispness. -RP
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    FWIW -- I start the pizza with the parchment paper, then remove it after a few minutes...

~ B
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    I have put it on a screen, on the stone and on parchment.

I currently prefer parchment but I reserver the right to change my mind.

Experiment grasshopper....

Spacey
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    DSCN1604.jpg

I like my thin crust pizza on parchment paper.
    My Best,
    Ross
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    i think it depends on your dough.

pulledporkpizza-007.jpg
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I make the pizza on the screen and put on top of the stone for a few minutes. Then I put the pizza directly on the stone. I find it easy to make the pizza on the screen and remove it also. Dont have to mess with parchment paper either. Just an old habit, I learned to make pizza like that.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Make ours up on parchment paper on the peel. Serve it on the parchement paper on the peel as well.

101_1585640x480.jpg

101_1591640x480.jpg

101_2000640x480.jpg

Tried it directly on the stone and it didn't come out any better.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    it wouldnt work for me because i cook thin crust at too high a temp, but give it a try, your only out a piece of parchment paper. i like thin crust, deep crust, pan pizza, french bread pizza, pizza made on bulkies, how could it be bad
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    In my opinion the parchment paper is a method to transfer the pie from the kitchen to the Egg.After the pie has been on the stone for about one minute I pull the paper out from under the pie and let it cook.Gaining the advantage of what the stone can do in the cooking process.I also think the same thing applies to the guys that prep the pie on a screen then remove the screen and finish the cook.