Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5 lb. Standing rib roast - Open to suggestions

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got some ideas of my own, but thought I'd ask the eggsperts.

Comments

• Headhunter,[p]Had a chili encrusted smoked rib roast this weekend at a restraunt that was out of sight. Crusted black with pepper and slow smoked...went back for more...twice.[p]

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Headhunter,[p]I have done many of these and like to first sear it on all sides(on the grill is easiest, but it can be done in a large roasting pan as well), then slow roast at around 200º. Searing will take about 8-10 minutes and will give the meat some nice color.[p]Plan on about 30 minutes per pound(AFTER searing) to reach medium rare. Don't forget to let it rest for 20 minutes, under a foil tent until ready to serve.[p]As to the trimming...I have my butcher separate the fat cap and bones and then tie them back onto the roast. When I get home, I untie and apply my rub and pastes directly onto the meat, then re-tie the bones back on. I do this so the rubs can penetrate the meat. Getting thru that fat cap is impossible.[p]Good Luck![p]Stogie
  • Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Headhunter,
    Try the link below, it's really great!!!!
    B D

[ul][li]Prime Rib[/ul]
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    S12_24_9917_42_01.jpg
    <p />Headhunter, check out the link - Christmas Eve a few years ago - always about perfect! :~}[p]We'll see if I get this right...[p]Earl posted this picture:
    Earls_PrimeRib.jpg
    From Earl[p]

[ul][li]Prime Rib[/ul]
  • Headhunter,
    This is one of my favorites, did one last Friday night & it came out superb.
    Cook with a drip pan under a raised grill.
    I keep it simple, heavy coat of kosher salt & pepper, cook 350° till internal temp is 125°-130° then let it rest uncovered on the counter for 20 minutes. The roast will continue to cook while resting & the temp should increase by 10°.
    Don't forget to cook the baked tater on the egg.[p]
    Good Eats
    Lewis

• Lotta good ides...no real consensus, tho. What about smoke?
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Headhunter,[p]None. My personal preference.
  • Stogie,
    I agree, flavor from the lump is all that is needed[p]Lewis