Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to do with Fresh Boneless Ham?

Options
Mark G
Mark G Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was at the Farmers Market today and picked up a 10lb fresh boneless ham. How would this best be prepared. I was thinking of cooking it at 300° indirect with some applewood for smoke. But for how long and to what temp?[p]Thanks for any input,[p]Mark G

Comments

• BBbrew
    BBbrew Posts: 33
    Options
    Mark G,[p]As in "Fresh Ham" do you mean the un-cured thigh portion of a hog?[p]It that is the case, then cook it low and slow like a shoulder roast or Boston Butt
  • Mark G
    Mark G Posts: 39
    Options
    BBbrew,
    Just says fresh ham. Is this gonna end up more like a pork roast than a "traditional" ham?
    Any estimate on time? I may want to cook on saturday and reheat on sunday or cook over night if it can't be dine in a 8-10hr period.[p]Mark G

• Mark G, A fresh ham should be a piece of the piggy taken from the upper back leg. Fresh can also be connotated as uncured and/or uncooked. With this being stated, I consider a fresh ham as one that is uncooked, uncured and from the upper portion of the back leg.[p]If the ham you have has not been cured, then it will taste like fresh pork. On the average, the fresh hams I have cooked have taken about one hour per pound cooked at 250F to an internal temperature of 160F. The hams I cooked were extremely fresh as in just days removed from the hog and were the whole leg cut off at the shank with the bone in. [p]IMHO there is a lot less fat in the back leg than the front of a hog and this is one reason I don't take them to the higher finish temperatures that you see for pulled pork. That and the fact that I am slicing the meat instead of pulling it as well. [p]Since you are cooking at a higher cooking temperature than what I usually use, I am GUESSING that your cooking time will be between 40 minutes to 60 minutes per pound, maybe even less.[p]You might try injecting the ham with the flavor of your choice, I just use a rub on mine. I hope this helps. If you have any more questions post them here or e-mail me. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.[p]Beers,[p]Juggy

• BBbrew
    BBbrew Posts: 33
    Options
    Mark G,[p]If it hasnt been cured then you are in the pork roast category. You can cook it at slightly higher temps and for slightly less time and it will come out fine. Like Juggy says, ther is a lot less fat than a pork butt, so you dont want to cook it too long and dry it out. I would say it lies somewhere between a pork shoulder (Boston Butt) and a pork loin as far as cooking technique.
  • Mark G,[p]Don't suppose that this is what Dr. Suess meant by "Green eggs and Ham" do you?