Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Pizza

Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first attempt is tonight. I have a plate setter, but no pizza stone. Can this be done? Also, I have no fire bricks to raise the plate setter. Am using Pilsbury premade pizza dough. If this will work, what temps and times? I think I read somewhere that I sprinkle corm meal on the setter so that the dough won't stick. ANY advice will help.
Thanks!

Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Wardster,[p]The plate setter should be set in your Egg with the legs pointing down. This will place the flat cooking area of the setter just below the level of the dome opening lip. Having a pizza stone to rest on top of your plate setter would offer a huge benefit.[p]I am not familiar with the specific directions to cook the Pillsbury dough. Run with the cooking temps and times according to the directions. Your Egg will heat the stone (plate setter) to a higher temperature than an oven, so using a wire rack to space the pie off of the stone will help avoid burning the crust. Preheat the plate setter with your Egg to the cooking temperature using only the top vent to control (limit) the temperature rise - bottom vent wide open. Start the cook(s) when you have to close the top vent considerably to attempt to regulate the cooking temperature (the indication that your Egg is almost well heated). Open the top vent wide to quickly regain cooking temperature after a dome opening.[p]It is a common misconception that cornmeal (flour, rice flour, etc.) should be added to the pizza stone for the purpose of aiding the dough to not stick to the stone. The truth is that the dough will always intially stick to the stone. Anything added on top of the stone will only char, burn, and/or get hard and add this flavor and texture to the finished crust of the pizza cooked on top of it.[p]Cooked on a clean stone, the dough will quickly create a nice crust that will prove quite slippery when attemping to remove the finished pie. Raw dough will stick like glue to a hot surface - just learn to place the raw pie centered onto the stone.[p]Spin[p]
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Spin,
    Came out really good. Placed foil over a smaller webber grill rack and created the pizza on that. Laid the webber rack directly on the plate setter and pulled it off when it was done. I did not have to worry about the pie sticking to the peel. The middle was a little soft, but not too shabby for a first attempt.
    Thanks!

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Alan
    Alan Posts: 72
    Wardster,[p]I use the pilsbury dough regularly on my pizzas. It works out very well. The trick is to have the egg/stone/whatever your rig is up to temp before you make the pizza. If you make the pizza up too far ahead, it gets soggy and doesn't come off the paddle very well. I sprinkle a bunch of cornmeal on my pizza paddle, press the dough out, add the ingredients, and slide it onto the stone. With the egg at ~500F, it's done in about 11-12 min. My egg is topless during this time, and I shine a flashlight in to tell when it's done.[p]I don't have a plate setter, so I can't advise you on how that will work. I have firebricks and a pizza stone in my setup.[p]Good Luck,
    Alan

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Wardster,[p]The advantage of cooking on a ceramic stone, is that you should be able to achieve a charred crust from edge to center, assuming that your sauce isn't too wet.[p]At any rate, if you are happy with the result, then it certainly provides something to build on.[p]Enjoy![p]--sdb