Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey Naked Whiz...What size is your metal plate?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey! Just looking at the naked whiz site and I need to know what size the plate under the egg is. I am buying a new large egg and redwood cart this week and want to protect the cart from the heat and possible fire. Seems I read the plate was made of slate...wondering what the thickness is and if I could use metal or is slate better at dissipating heat? Please help your North Carolina newbie...Thanks.
[ul][li]Here is the link to the cart I mentioned [/ul]

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Newbie Egg Man,
    Yes, it is slate. It is 18x24 inches about roughly 1 inch thick. I bought it at my local garden store. It weighs just under 43,000 pounds. Or so it seems! [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Newbie Egg Man,
    Don't really need to spend the money just use the little feet that come wit Mr. Egg. That and leave a little layer of ash on the bottom and you'll never have a problem. Your biggest problem will come from the lower door where live coals love to po out onto the deck when you are your bare feet.
    I've had my Egg for three years now and when this subject came up the first time I worried about it. Then, after some of the "old timers" set things straight I stopped worrying. If you sit Mr. Egg on the slate without the feet you just might have a problem. The slight bit of air flow takes care of things nicely. Just saving you a few bucks.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Sundown,
    Actually, I have had hot coals come out of the lower vent, so the slate comes in handy. The slate cost $7, not that much, really. And I use the feet and the slate. Besides, the slate looked rather nice, "inlaid" as it were, in the table.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz