Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MickyT's Temp Ring Results

Options
Kelly Keefe
Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally got a chance to do some testing with MickyT's Temperature Rings yesterday. I only got half way through though. So we all have a solid basis for the results, here are some factors which might have had an influence.[p]1. Full load of fresh lump. Loaded up to about 2 inches below top of fire ring.
2. Testing started when dome thermometer read 200°.
3. Each ring got a MINIMUM of 30 minutes to come up to temp and stabilize.
4. Mild breeze, Egg facing 90° from prevailing wind direction.
5. Bottom vent open 1/2".[p]The results:[p]Ring # Temperature Reading
1 (Smallest) 185°
2 200°
3 230°
4 252°
5 280°[p]Hope to finish up rings 6-11 this afternoon.[p]Kelly Keefe
Jefferson City, MO

Comments

• Mark G
    Mark G Posts: 39
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,
    I think every Egg is going to be somewhat diffent and we'll all have to come up with our own temperature profile. Mine has been going for over an hour with a fresh, full load of lump with the bottom vent fully open and a #5 ring and has been at 250° the whole time. It may come up in temp a bit once that 10.5lb fresh ham gets up to temp(right out of the frig.).
    So far though they have worked very well at holding a temperature steady. I have used them for over a week for 5 or 6 cooks ranging from ribs at 250-300° to pizza at 600°.[p]Thanks Mick for the rings, I'm very happy with them. Plus, it's 11 more converation pieces when people come over for a cook-out.[p]Mark G

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    Mark G,[p]I agree totally. I think we'll all get slightly different results due to all sorts of factors. That's why I posted my vent settings, etc. After I complete my tests with vent at 1/2" I'm planning on going back and trying 1" and full open.[p]Kelly

• Kelly Keefe,[p]How can I get some of these rings?[p]
    Tom

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    TomF,[p]You can e-mail me at mtinnon@gcdies.com.[p]Mick