Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Top Falls Off!

Options
Chick with Egg
Chick with Egg Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok guys. I'm a newbie so go easy on me. We have a new Xtra Large Egg. It's working fine but the metal vent thingy sometimes falls off when I open the lid. It will stay on but only if I go real slow and easy. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Yes, you should open it slow and easy.
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    When it gets good and seasoned with lots of the black goo around it you may want to take the top off and not be able to. When my egg is cold the daisy wheel and top are stuck like glue. I think in time your problem will solve itself.
  • Scubadog
    Scubadog Posts: 100
    Options
    Hey Chick. I had the same problem with my XL. The vent cap is a sloppy fit and rattled around the dome top so much that sometimes it would fall off even if I did open the top “real easy”. This could make for quite a story if you’re cooking on a deck with a couple of parked cars below. I agree that you always open the top easy, but the damn metal vent falling off isn't something you should have to even think about. Anyway, I ended up taking a very small strip of woodstove gasket material (you know the stuff that’s on the inside edges of a wood stove door) and cemented it onto the inside lower rim of the metal vent cap. Being that the dome chimney is tapered, the slight amount of padding from the material makes a for slight compression fit. That totally stopped the sloppy shake, rattle and roll and "viola" no more top falling off. Plus the gasket material and wood stove cement can take all of the heat you want to throw at it.
  • Scubadog
    Options
    Forgot to mention that when I'm done cook'n, the metal vent cap comes off and the Green Hat goes on.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Whatever you do -- Don't flip your lid!

Good Luck!

~ broc

:)
  • Chick with Egg
    Options
    Thanks for the tip scubadog. Where do I get this gasket stuff?
  • Scubadog
    Options
    Any fireplace or woodstove store will have it along with the proper cement. But WOA a minute before you go cementing gaskets to your vent top. That's just what i came up with and there is a lot of wisdom and experience on this site so ther might be a better way. Good Luck! Egg-on chick!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    On my large, the top vent fits fine, on my medium it is loose.

You can use some tinfoil folded in a strip and put it on the dome, then the vent. Long term I would get some gasket material.

I have to replace my gasket so I am hoping I will have a little left to do the same on my medium.

Also, I did put some felt on the inside of my ceramic cap. Complete seal when shutting down the egg after a cook. Lump goes out pretty quickly.

GG
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Well...since nobody else said it I will...NOWAY was I gonna skip a post titled 'my top falls off' by 'chick with egg'. I was looking quick to see if there were any pix! :laugh:
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I had the same problem the first 5-6 cooks with my XL. The cap is well seasoned now and it doesn't fall off - Just like Luvs to Shoot Clay said.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    I would suggest you tie the two little strings in back together. Failing that be very very careful. Hehehehe.
  • Longknocker
    Options
    This thread is useless :woohoo: without pictures!!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I think it is a design issue in the XL. Mine is seven years old and would still have the problem if I didn't put the stove gasket in. One thing though, it isn't neccessary to glue it. Just cut it to length and put it inside the vent cap and slide the cap on.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    What's that song about drinking to much Tequila last nite?
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Here's what I do to minimize the daisy wheel from dropping to the deck.
    I put the daisy on the egg with the the words BGE on the left when standing in fron of the egg. The hinge of the slide on the daisy is positioned pointing half way of the band hinge.
    I have larges and extra larges, and either rarely has the daisy fall off.
    Help this helps!
    Hammer