Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

clogged grate with charcoasl reuse

Grumpa
Grumpa Posts: 861
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help. The first few times of use the egg went right to 750 degrees. When reusing charcoal the holes in the grate get clogged with small pieces of coal..result, only a partial fire and temperature not over 300 degrees. I have the new cast iron grate already, and still same problem .Do I have to clean the fire box out each time and replace with large lump charcoal each time? I hope not.

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    bob,
    I stir the charcoal to eliminate the ashes, refill the EGG and ignite with a fire starter (Weber fire Cube or equivilent) placing it underneath the grate. I have had no problem attaining any desired temp.
    Hope this helps.

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    bob,
    You don't necesarily have to clean out the firebox every
    time, but you do need to make sure that you have an environment that supports combustion. That means you need unrestricted air flow. Sometimes this requires a complete cleaning of the firebox, most times you just need to stir up the unburned lump, add some new lump, make sure nothing is clogged and restricting air flow, and light.[p]Chuck

• Grumpa
    GaDawg,
    Thanks. How do you check for clogged holes in the grate? Peeking through the lower door doesn't give access.[p]bob

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    bob,
    Just watch real closely as you're stirring the lump. Have you cleaned out the ash in the bottom recently?????
    Happy Easter,
    New Bob

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    bob,[p]I stir the hell out of the existing lump and use that metal poking tool to get the little bits out of the holes in the grate. Then clean out the ash from the bottom vent where it fell through. I don't think I've ever stripped it down totally (other than when I moved!). That's usually enough to keep it clean and let the O2 through.[p]mShark
  • Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    bob,[p]Like eveyone else suggested, stir the lump throughly and check the air holes as you do it. Especially if the weather has been damp. If the holes are clogged, poke 'em with the ash tool or, as I do, a liberal use of the old Mark I index finger.[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    bob,
    Just take a coat hanger and bend a piece of it up 90 degrees for about an inch long. Then use this to reach inside the bottom vent and stick it into each grate hole and move it up and down a little. Cleans em right out.
    Actually, I use a ash tool that I cut the end off of and bent it up 90 degrees for an inch or so.
    B D

• Grumpa
    bob,[p]I too have a cast iron grate. What has worked very well for me is to stir the old lump throughly and add new lump. I then take the ash tool thru the lower vent and gently begin tapping the grate with it. This allows any remaining ash and small bits that clog the holes to fall thru to the bottom of the egg. A little ash clean out and start your lump from the bottom. I have never had trouble reaching blast furnace temps using this method.