Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low and Slow Lamb

MW
MW Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i want to d a leg of lamb low and slow 10 - 15 hrs. Any ideas, tips etc???
MW

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    MW:[p]Lamb is on the lean side and I do not think a long low and slow would suit it well. If you try it that way, please post your results.
    [/b]
  • char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    djm5x9,[p]I agree, although he might try a lamb shoulder. That's fairly tough.
    CB

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    djm5x9,[p]So what you're saying is that you think low and slow lamb would be baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.[p]...sorry...I know I've made that joke here several times before, and that it keeps getting worse... It's Friday and I'm about to leave work, though, and beer thirty has arrived. Busy week, and I've really been neglecting my good old friend, Mr. Beer. This will change this evening...[p]Hee,
    Cornfed

• djm5x9
    char buddy:[p]Interesting that you mention lamb shoulder. When I arrived home from the office today The Princess was out at ball practice with the boys, but she left me a "hint" iced in the sink - lamb shoulder steaks. I seasoned them with some Smoking Guns BBQ Rub, drizzled them with olive oil, flipped a time or two to coat the steak with oil and seasoned again with SG and added a little thyme just for kicks. Poor white boy trying to figure out how to find fourty acres in Brookhaven for grazing sheep . . .
  • MW
    MW Posts: 61
    djm5x9, so you think it could be too dry? what do you think an optimal time would be for a 4.5 lb leg??
    MW

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    MW,
    imho, MW, I would not do a leg, lo-n-slo. Classically, it should be rubbed with olive oil, seasoned with salt, pepper, rosemary and insert slivers of garlic into the meat. Cook at 325-350 until polder is 145. Let it sit 15 minutes and carve. For lo-n-slo, do a shoulder rubbed with butter or oil; spray with same every 45 min until temp is near 200. Let it sit 15 minutes and then pull off pieces by hand to dip in ground cumin and eat. This latter cook is like the Moroccan Mechoui. Have a happy holiday
    Regards,
    Marvin

• djm5x9
    MW:[p]On first glance I would say it could turn out too dry if you are not careful. The cook you are trying to accomplish is similar to a small brisket but with a bone in it. If you insist on "low and slow" for this leg of lamb I would preheat the cooker to a grill temperature of 200º (the dome may be higher) and concentrate on a finished internal of 185º to 190º bumping the grill temperature if necessary as you near the completion of the cook - you do have a polder, right? Although direct cooks are my favorite, consider an indirect cook (plate setter, rack with a drip pan, etc.) to help keep from drying out the meat if you are not experienced with a brisket cooked direct low and slow. Concentrate on a finished internal temperature, not how long it takes to cook. You might want to consider letting it rest covered in foil and insulated with towels for thirty minutes or an hour prior to being served. Your results should be somewhat sliceable.[p]If you do this, let me know what your cook was like. My e-mail is in the profile section.
  • char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    djm5x9,[p]Bring the sheep. We got the forty acres. [p]CB
  • bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Cornfed,
    It's been quite a while since I've posted on here, buddy...it's good to see that you haven't changed a bit!

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    bdavidson,[p]You've been missed! Are you coming to Eggfest?[p]Later,
    Cornfed